Pennsylvania County Histories and Pennsylvania Biographies
This is a compilation of Pennsylvania county, township and borough histories and biographical sketches that are on the web. Some have been transcribed, others have been scanned into images and many of them are still incomplete. Some sites provide a means of searching for titles, authors, surnames, etc. Where the text has been put on the web as a TXT file or HTML document, the browser "search" or "find" capability can be used to search for names.
See the USGenWeb Pennsylvania Archives for additional historical and biographical information. Links to some general and religious histories, and to Pennsylvania County Genealogy sites, shown below.
- Adams County
- Allegheny County
- Historic Pittsburgh Collection is a digital collection that provides an opportunity to explore and research the history of Pittsburgh and the surrounding Western Pennsylvania area on the Internet. It is a joint project of the University of Pittsburgh and the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania (Pitt/HSWP).
- History of Allegheny County Pennsylvania, Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1889. (Pitt/HSWP)
- Genealogical and personal history of the Allegheny Valley, Pennsylvania, Vol. 1; under the editorial supervision of John W. Jordan, New York, Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1913. |
Vol. II |
Vol. III. (Pitt/HSWP)
- Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania, Vol I, editor-in-chief, John W. Jordan; New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1915. |
Vol II |
Vol III. (Pitt/HSWP)
- History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution; Vol. 1 / By George Thornton Fleming, New York, Chicago : The American historical society, inc., 1922. (Pitt/HSWP) |
Vol II |
Vol III |
Vol IV |
Vol V (Pitt/HSWP)
- Search University of Pittsburgh Digital Library
- Armstrong County.
- Beaver County.
- Bedford County.
- Berks County.
- Blair County.
- History of Blair County, Pennsylvania From its Earliest Settlement, and more particularly from its Organization, in 1846 to June 1896; Charles B. Clark, Esq., of the Blair County Bar, Author and Publisher, Altoona, Pa., 1896.
- Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Blair Co, PA: Samuel T. Wiley, Philadelphia, 1892.
Also bio sketches from histories by Jesse C. Sell, Daniel M. Bare, and Tarring S. Davis.
- Bradford County.
- Bucks County.
- Butler County.
- Cambria County.
- Various On-line Histories
- Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambria County, Pennsylvania, The Union Publishing Coumpany, Philadelphia, Pa., 1896
- History of Cambria County Pennsylvania by Henry Wilson Story, The Lewis Publishing Company, New York - Chicago, 1907
- The Valley Of The Conemaugh, By Thomas J. Chapman, Altoona, PA, McCrum & Dern Printers, 1865.
- Cameron County.
- Carbon County.
- Centre County.
- Chester County.
- Some Biographical Sketches. From: Biographical and Portrait Cycopedia of Chester County, Pennsylvania, comprising A Historical Sketch of the County' by Samuel T. Wiley, revised and edited by Winfield Scott Garner, published by the Gresham Publishing Company, Philadelphia, PA, 1893; and from The History of Chester County, by Futhey and Cope (1881).
- Clarion County.
- Clearfield County.
- Clinton County.
- Columbia County.
- History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania, edited by: J. H. Battle, 1887
- Book of Biographies of the
Seventeenth Congressional District, Biographical Publishing Company of Chicago, Ill. and Buffalo, NY: 1899. Consisting of Columbia, Montour, Northumberland and Sullivan Counties
- History of Columbia County Pennsylvania by John G. Freeze, Ellwell & Bittenbender Publishers, Bloomsburg, Pa. 1883
- Crawford County.
- Cumberland County.
- Dauphin County.
- Delaware County.
- Elk County.
- Erie County.
- Fayette County.
- Forest County.
- Franklin County.
- Fulton County.
- Greene County.
- History of
Greene County, Pennsylvania by Samuel P. Bates, Nelson, Rishforth & Co., Chicago. 1888
- Biographical History of Greene County by Samuel P. Bates Nelson, Rishforth, and Co, Chicago, 1888
- History of Greene County Pennsylvania, by Rev. William Hanna, 1882
- History of Greene County Pennsylvania, by Samuel P. Bates, Nelson, Rishforth and Co., Chicago, 1888
- Huntingdon County.
- Indiana County.
- Jefferson County.
- Juniata County.
- History of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania edited by F. Ellis and A. N. Hungerford. Published in 1886 by Everts, Peck and Richards, Philadelphia
- History of the Juniata Valley, John W. Jordan, Volume III, New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1913
- Lackawana County.
- Lancaster County.
- Lawrence County.
- History of Lawrence County Pennsylvania, 1887 (Historical Review of the Towns and Business Houses..., by Wick W. Wood)
- History of Lawrence County Pennsylvania 1877 by S.W. and P.A. DURANT, Philadelphia, L.H. Everts & Co.
- Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania; Biographical Pub. Co., Buffalo, N.Y., 1897.
- 20th CENTURY HISTORY of New Castle and Lawrence County Pennsylvania and Representative Citizens, Hon. Aaron L. Hazen, Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company, Chicago, Ill., 1908.
- the above Lawrence County histories.
- Lebanon County.
- Lehigh County.
- Luzerne County
- History of Luzerne County Pennsylvania with Biographical Selections by H. C. Bradsby, Chicago, S. B. Nelson & Co. 1893 [Transcription]
- History of Luzerne County Pennsylvania with Biographical Selections by H. C. Bradsby, Chicago, S. B. Nelson & Co. 1893
- History of Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County Pennsylvania, Including Early Wyoming Valley History, by Oscar Jewell Harvey, M.A., Volume I, 1909
- Lycoming County.
- McKean County.
- Mercer County.
- Mifflin County.
- Monroe County.
- Montgomery County.
- History of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, Theodore W. Bean, Philadelphia, Everts & Peck, 1884.
Biographical Annals of Montgomery County Pennsylvania..., Ellwood Roberts, Editor. VOL. I., T. S. Benham & Company and The Lewis Publishing Company, New York - Chicago, 1904.
- History of Montgomery County Pennsylvania, Part I Lower Merion, by William J. Buck, Edited by Theodore W. Bean, Pub. Everts & Peck, Philadelphia, 1884
- Montgomery County: The Second Hundred Years, Edited by Jean B. Toll and Michael J. Schwager, Montgomery County Federation of Historical Societies, Norristown, PA, 1983
- Montour County.
- Northampton County.
- Northumberland County.
- History of Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, edited by Herbert C. Bell, Chicago, ILL.: Brown, Runk & Co., 1891.
- Genealogical & Biographical Annals of Northumberland County by J. L. Floyd, 1911.
- History of Northumberland County Pennsylvania, edited by Herbert C. Bell, Chicago: Brown, Runk & Co. publishers, 1891
- Perry County.
- Pike County.
- Potter County.
- Schuylkill County History.
- Snyder County.
- Somerset County History.
- Sullivan County.
- Susquehanna County.
- Tioga County.
- Union County.
- Venango County.
- Warren County.
- Washington County.
- Wayne County.
- Westmoreland County.
- Wyoming County.
- Wyoming, Its History, Stirring Incidents, and Romantic Adventures, By George Peck, D.D. New York: Harper & Brothers, Publishers, Franklin Square, 1858.
- History of Wyoming County Pennsylvania, Vol. II, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1918
- York County.
- Biographies from the History of York County, John Gibson, Historical Editor, F. A. Battey Publishing Company, Chicago, 1886
- Borough and Township Histories, from the History of York County, John Gibson, Historical Editor, F. A. Battey Publishing Company, Chicago, 1886
- History of York County Pennsylvania, by John Gibson, Historical Editor, F. A. Battey Publishing Company, 1886
- Some General Pennsylvania Histories.
- A Pioneer History of Northwestern Pennsylvania . by William James McKnight, Lippincott Co. 1905
- Western Pennsylvania Histories, University of Pittsburgh and Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania.
- Penn State University Digital Bookshelf — PA's Past
- Mother Bedford, compiled from various sources by Larry D. Smith
- Pennsylvania History and Biographies HistoricPA.net
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War
- Marital Deeds of Pennsylvania Samuel P. Bates, 1876
- PA Archives, Connecticut Settlement in Wyoming Valley William Henry Egle, 1893
- Christopher Gist's Journals, with Historical, Geographical and Ethnological Notes and Biographies of his Contemporaries, by William M. Darlington [1815-1889] Pittsburgh, J. R. Weldin & Col., 1893.
- Early Pennsylvania Churches and Clergy.
- General World and United States History
Pennsylvania County Genealogy Sites
Go to: Pennsylvania County Maps and Atlases
Updated: 7 Aug 2010