Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens
Lawrence County Pennsylvania 1897
[p. 28] of the firm of Wick & Fulkerson, leading restauranteurs of New Castle, was born in Butler County, Pa., Oct. 30, 1858, and is a son of Jeremiah C. and Ellen J. (Coovert) Wick, grandson of James and Margaret (McDonald) Wick, and great-grandson of John Wick, who came originally from New Jersey to Butler County, where he bought a large tract of new and uncultivated land, which kept him busy for many years in clearing, living in the meanwhile in a log-house, which in the usual pioneer fashion he had erected at the first. He lived to the good old age of ninety years, was twice married, and reared a large family, but had only two boys by the first marriage—John and James.
Our subject's grandfather, James Wick, was born in New Jersey and assisted his father in clearing the farm, and served in the War of 1812, being stationed at Fort Erie. When he commenced farming for himself, he secured a farm near Centerville, Butler Co., which was unimproved, and almost entirely in timber; he first built a log-house, and then a frame house, when lumber became more plentiful. He also owned a grist-mill at Harlansburg. His death took place when he was aged eighty-two years; his wife passed over the River of Death into life eternal at the age of eighty. Their union was fruitful of the following children: John W.; James F., Eliza; Eli; Maria; Julian; Mary; Jeremiah C.; James M.; Sarah E.; and Margaret.
Jeremiah C. Wick assisted his father on the farm until he attained the years of manhood, when he went to Brady's Bend, Armstrong County, and labored as puddler in the iron works for a few years, then after clerking in a grocery store for a short period he ran one on his own account six years in Buena Vista, Butler County, and an equal space of time in Martinsburg, the same county. In 1868, he came to New Castle, and worked as puddler a few years, and for the last few years has been actively engaged in the insurance business, representing the following companies. Metropolitan, Pennsylvania Mutual, and Prudential. In 1890, he built for his daughter Eva the residence at No. 120 Grant Avenue, where he has lived since; before then he lived in another house on Grant Avenue, which he had had erected. He married Ellen J. Coovert, daughter of Samuel Coovert, and to them were born six children, as follows: Ferdinand, who died at the age of two years; Revillian T., our subject; Annie Melissa married William McKee; Teresa Evelyn is a bookkeeper; Lillie Jane died at the age of fifteen years; Addie Zilla married Charles Gleisner of New Castle. Our subject's father is a stanch Republican, and an advocate of temperance. He is a member of the M. E. Church and of the A. O. U. W.
After finishing his schooling, Revillian T. Wick began clerking for Frank Tinswaite, remaining with him about one year. Hower Brothers having purchased the business of Mr. Tinswaite, Mr. Wick continued with them until they discontinued the business. He next engaged with J. Adam Hainer, remaining somewhat over one year. His next engagement was with W. S. Emery, with whom he remained from 1876 to 1881. That year he formed a partnership with A. S. Pattison in the grocery trade, and after one year they dissolved partnership and Mr. Wick accepted a position as clerk with W. S. Emery, remaining till Mr. Emery's death. The store being purchased by Messrs. Kay and Wilkinson, Mr. Wick was with them one year. Sept. 2, 1891, in company with David P. Fulkerson, under the firm name of Wick & Fulkerson, he bought out the Maitland restaurant, and put in new furniture and utensils, imparting a clean, fresh appearance to the place, and furnishing it with a costly equipment, a sample of which may be found in the range, which cost $150. That their restaurant at No. 10 Apple Alley has been a success is evidenced from the fact that they have the largest and most select patronage in the city, and have built up an enviable reputation for short-order meals.
Mr. Wick married Agnes Pattison, who was born Feb. 20, 1858, and was a daughter of J. Smith Fulkerson, grandaughter of William Fulkerson, and great-grandaughter of John Fulkerson, a native of Virginia, who came to this county. Mrs. Wick is a sister of our subject's partner, David P. Fulkerson. Mr. and Mrs. Wick live in a fine home, located at No. 78 Elm Street, built by himself in 1892. Politically, Mr. Wick is a Republican. He is a member of the Junior Order of the United American Mechanics and Woodmen of the World.
Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens Lawrence County Pennsylvania
Biographical Publishing Company, Buffalo, N.Y., 1897
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 12 Apr 2001, 08:45