Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens
Lawrence County Pennsylvania 1897
[p. 90] a leading and prominent attorney-at-law of New Castle City, is a descendant of one of the earliest settlers of that city.
In 1804 Henry Falls came from Center Co., Pa., to New Castle, a settlement which at that time could boast of but four residences, and settled on a spot on Highland Avenue, which locality was then wild and uncultivated. Henry Falls was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1760, and immigrated to this country in company with his brother, Joseph, in 1779. His wife before her marriage was a Miss Susan Kennedy; their children were named: John; Thomas; Sarah and Rachel, twins; Henry; and Joseph C. He died in 1847, and his wife survived his death seven years.
Thomas, the second son of Henry Falls, was born in Ligonier Valley, Center Co., Pa., Oct. 29, 1793, and at the age of fourteen years was brought by his parents to what is now the city of New Castle, where he passed his boyhood days on the farm, helping his father during the spring, summer and fall, and attending the rude schools of that time in the winter. As soon as he became a man, he went to Mercer and learned the tanning trade; after serving an apprenticeship of three years, he went to Pittsburg, Pa., where be labored at his trade one summer. He then returned home to New Castle, and established a tannery, which he conducted with the most flattering success until 1841, when he resigned the management of it to his eldest son. In 1831 he built thereon the house which remained his home until his death Oct. 8, 1865; this house was the third brick house to be built in New Castle. He accumulated a large amount of real estate in the borough and owned several farms near by; as the country grew up, his large landed possessions gave him a prestige among his less fortunate neighbors as a man of wealth and means. The settlement, which could scarcely be termed a hamlet during his boyhood days, he lived to see become a flourishing young city, with the brightest prospect of a future before it. In the bringing about of this good result, nothing is more certain than that Mr. Falls did his full share; he built twelve house in the city, and always aided in public enterprises. He was a model citizen, and highly esteemed as a Christian gentleman. Dec. 25, 1818, he was joined in wedlock with Sarah Wilson, daughter of Adam Wilson of New Wilmington, this county; she died June 26, 1870, aged seventy-six years. Eight children were born to them: Wilson; Henry C.; Rachel; Maria J.; J. Smith; Susan; Sarah; and Thomas H.
Henry C. Falls, father of Wallace H. Falls, was born in New Castle, July 8, 1822. He was reared as a farmer, and with the exception of a brief period spent in the grocery business in Pittsburg, he pursued agricultural pursuits for a livelihood. In 1854 he was married to Mary A. Wallace, daughter of David Wallace, Esq., of Lancaster, Pa., and to them two sons were born: Wallace H., our subject, and Thomas, who died when aged ten years. Both Mr. and Mrs. Falls were members of the First Presbyterian Church, in which communion Mr. Falls held the office of elder. His farm consisted of a very nicely improved tract of 140 acres, which lay within the city limits of New Castle. He was a gentleman of plain manners, sterling good sense, and moved by generous and kindly impulses. He was a strong Republican, and was elected a member to the State Legislature in 1884; his health failed rapidly, and he was called home to receive the welcome plaudit of "Well done, good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." He died before his term had expired, Feb. 23, 1885. His wife lived to the age of sixty-seven years, departing this life in May, 1896. Mrs. Falls was a lady of refinement and of a substantial worth.
Wallace H. Falls was born in New Castle, Nov. 9, 1855, and received his education in the schools of New Castle, Bellefonte, and Chambersburg, and in Lafayette College, graduating from the latter institution in the class of 1878. He pursued the studies which were to make him an able lawyer under the direction of Judge John McMichael, and was admitted to the bar in 1879. Since then he has practiced his profession with eminent success, and is able to enroll his name among the lists of the best lawyers of the State; his office is located in the Clendenin block.
Mr. Falls was married in 1883 to Miss Mary E. Pardoe, daughter of William N. Pardoe of Mercer Co., Pa., and to them has been given one child: Helen W. Mr. Falls is a member of the Mahoning Lodge, No. 343, F. & A. M.; and of Fidelis Lodge, K. of P., and is now past chancellor and chief tribune of the grand tribune of the State of Pennsylvania.
Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens Lawrence County Pennsylvania
Biographical Publishing Company, Buffalo, N.Y., 1897
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 26 Apr 2001