Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens
Lawrence County Pennsylvania 1897
[p. 535] whose residence is at No. 52 Walnut Street, New Castle, where he is leading a practically retired life, was born in Allegheny City, Sept. 29, 1835, and is a son of David, Sr., and Jane (Thompson) Barnett. Jane Thompson, the second wife of David Barnett, Sr., was a native of Washington County, where she was born Dec. 5, 1806. David Barnett, Sr., also a native of Washington County, was born near Pigeon Creek, June 8, 1796; in April, 1808, although very young, he went to Pittsburg to learn the carpenter's trade, and served an apprenticeship of four years. After following his trade a few years in Pittsburg as a journeyman carpenter, he went to Jefferson City, Mo., where he remained four years, and then returned to Pittsburg, where he secured a position with McClurg, Waite & Co., and while in their employ helped to build the first locomotive on the Pennsylvania Co.'s railroad. To men of the present day, who are familiar, with the latest achievements in the industrial world, it may seem strange, but it is nevertheless a fact, that at that early stage in the development of the railroad, the trains ran on wooden rails, which were preserved from wear and breakage by being covered with strap iron. When getting well along in years, David Barnett, Sr., moved to Slippery Rock township, Lawrence County, where he purchased a fine farm of 110 acres, and lived until his death at the age of sixty-seven. Of his first marriage three children were born. His second union with our subject's mother resulted in six children, the eldest of whom was David Barnett, Jr., the subject of this sketch.
David Barnett received his education in the district schools of Slippery Rock township, which schools he attended until he was eighteen years old. When he had attained his majority, he went to Nemaha Co., Kan., where he took up a quarter section of land as a pre-emption claim on Soldier Creek, where he lived eighteen months, and proved his land. He then came home, and enlisted at Pittsburg, August 28, 1861, in Co. F, 100th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was in the service four years lacking twenty-nine days, having re-enlisted in the field December 28, 1863, and was honorably discharged and mustered out at Harrisburg, Pa., on July 28, 1865. He was engaged in Virginia and South Carolina the greater part of the time, and was in the following battles: Second Bull Run, Chantilly, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Siege of Vicksburg, Siege of Knoxville, The Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg. After the war, Mr. Barnett lived on the farm eighteen months, and then became a resident of New Castle, and shortly afterwards opened a grocery store, which he conducted from 1867 to 1889 with very successful results, which have enabled him to retire from active work, and seek rest and contentment the remainder of his life.
March 3, 1864, he was married in Slippery Rock township to Martha Campbell, who was born in Shenango township, a daughter of John G. and Hannah (Gaston) Campbell, the latter a daughter of Robert and Anna (Matthewson) Gaston, both natives of Warren Co., Pa. John G. Campbell, a blacksmith by trade, was born in Lawrence County of Scotch descent. His father, who began farming in Plain Grove township over a century ago, was married twice and was the father of twenty-two children. Our subject's wife was fifth in a family of twelve children born to her parents. She is a member of the United Presbtyterian Church, and of the Ladies of the G. A. R. Mr. Barnett is a member of the G. A. R., Union Veteran Legion, and is also an Odd Fellow.
Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens Lawrence County Pennsylvania
Biographical Publishing Company, Buffalo, N.Y., 1897
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 15 Jul 2001