The USGenWeb Archive Project

McIntosh County Archivist-Shelley Lynch -

Biographies  /  Cemeteries  /  Censuses  /  Marriages  /  Obituaries  /  McIntosh County Archive Project

McIntosh County is one of 77 counties in the state of Oklahoma.

Its county seat is Eufaula, Oklahoma.

United States Archives

Oklahoma State Archives


McIntosh Archives (you are here)

Okmulgee Archives

Okfuskee Archives

Hughes Archives

Pittsburg Archives

Haskell Archives

Muskogee Archives

United States USGENWEB

Oklahoma State OkGenWeb


McIntosh OkGenWeb

Okmulgee OkGenWeb

Okfuskee OkGenWeb

Hughes OkGenWeb

Pittsburg OkGenWeb

Haskell OkGenWeb

Muskogee OkGenWeb

USGenWeb Archives Special Projects

 How to Submitting Files

 Guideline for Submitting Files

 Help Wanted

 Daily Uploads

History of McIntosh County, Oklahoma

McIntosh County, Oklahoma was created, at statehood in 1907, from land that was mostly part of the Creek Nation with its eastern-most areas part of what was the extreme southwestern part of the Canadian District of the Cherokee Nation .

Indian historians claim that in 1541, when Hernando De Soto crossed the Mississippi River near Memphis and continued his journey westward, he passed through the southern part of McIntosh county. As evidence they point to the huge rock in the middle of the Canadian River, known as Standing Rock, as being identical with the Standing Rock described in the Spanish record of De Soto's Travels. Also, There is a claim that not many years ago a skeleton was unearthed near the Canadian River, clad in full Spanish armor.

The Creeks came to the area in 1836 and their influence can be seen in many ways. Many of the local town and communities were named by the Creeks. Eufaula gets is name from an old Creek town in Alabama called Yufala which mean "they split up here and went to other places."

The old Asbury Mission School, located two miles northeast of Eufaula, was established in 1849 by the Episcopal Church under a contract with the Creek Council and maintained for many years prior to the Civil war. Today it is the Eufaula Boarding School.

In 1861, Albert Pike, the Confederate general, met with some of the leading Creeks in McIntosh County and induced them to join the Southern Confederacy, only a few weeks after the Cherokees had refused to consider his proposition.

On July 17, 1863, smoke billowed, cannons roared, and the weapons of 9,000 troops flashed when the largest battle in Indian Territory fought during the war between the states was waged just 3 1 | 2 miles northeast of Checotah. Honey Springs Battlefield Historic Site.

In the summer of 1872 The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad reached this neighborhood and the two prosperous towns of Checotah and Eufaula were established, although an Indian settlement had been in existence at Eufaula for many years prior to that period.

In 1876, THE INDIAN JOURNAL was founded and published in Eufaula and is the oldest surviving newspaper in the state.

In 1889 the first U.S. federal court was established at Muskogee, which embraced most of Indian Territory.

In 1895 there were four districts of federal courts and 26 sub-stations. The Central District covered the area of the Creek and Seminole Nations with Muskogee as the court seat, while the Southern District, covering the area of the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations, had South McAlester (now called McAlester) as its court seat. These records are held partly in the National Archives and at Oklahoma Historical Society. The 26 recording districts of the federal court accepted land records, marriages and other legal proceedings.

It was not until 1898 that a non-citizen of the Indian Nations of Indian Territory could legally own land in this area. Upon statehood, most of these land records were retained by the local county governments. 

No county records exist prior to 1907. Genealogical records for some ancestors who lived in this area before 1907 may be found in records of the Five Civilized Tribes Agency at Muskogee, the
Oklahoma Historical Society in Oklahoma City
and the National Archives .

The county seat of McIntosh County, Oklahoma is Eufaula which is located about 14 miles south of I-40 on U.S. 69. Cities and towns in McIntosh county are Checotah, Duchess Landing, Eufaula, Hanna, Hitchita, Rentiesville, Shady Grove, Stidham, Texanna. More information can be viewed at towns.

Towns with Post Offices


Named For


Post Office Dates


Nearby Land Feature

7 Miles SW of Checotah

6 Feb 1894 - 31 Dec 1915



5 Miles W of Pierce

29 July 1896 - 30 Nov 1907


Poetic Word for China

6 Miles N of Eufaula

18 Feb 1903 - 15 June 1914


Samuel Checote, Creek Chief

I-40 & 69

17 June 1886 - Present



Near Checotah

21 Apr 1910 - 14 Mar 1916


Old Creek Town in Alabama

County Seat of McIntosh Co.

Mayors of Eufaula

6 Feb 1874 - Present






"Famous bottom land"

5 Miles NW Eufaula

9 June 1894 -



8 Miles SE of Checotah

11 Feb 1898 - 31 Oct 1916


William & George Fisher

5 Miles NE of Eufaula

10 July 1883 - 25 July 1893




Creek Chief George W. Grayson

8 Miles NE  of Henryetta

10 Feb 1902 - 30 April 1929


Hanna Bullett

18 Miles SW of Eufaula

24 Aug 1904 -



Present Day Hanna

22 Sept 1902-24 Aug 1904


Indian Band of Muskhogean


23 Apr 1901 - Present


A.J. Hutton, First postmaster

5 Miles NW of Eufaula

19 Oct 1896 - 28 Feb 1911

Irby | Bond


8 Miles N of Eufaula

4 Jan 1907 - 5 Feb 1909


Lenna Moore, Local Creek Indian

13 Miles NW of Eufaula

4 Jan 1902 -


William Mellette, US District Attorney in Muskogee, Okla.

10 Miles SW of Eufaula

1 May 1901 - 14 July 1934




Creek word for Cheif

2 Miles E of Eufaula

4 Aug 1853 - 30 Mar 30 1996


Governor Nero, Creek allotee, Formerly Huttonsville

5 Miles NW of Eufaula

28 Feb 1911 - 20 July 1915


Formerly Irby or Bond, Creek word for above.

8 Miles N of Eufuala

5 Feb 1909 - 30 June 1914


Homer Pierce Lee, First Postmaster

11 Miles W of Checotah

26 Mar 1907 -



12 Miles SW of Eufaula

2 April 1892 - 31 May 1901


Mrs. Jeannetta Thoma Raiford

rancer and land owner

15 Miles SW of Eufaula

17 June 1905 - 15 May 1926


William Renti, Townsite Developer

5 Miles N of Checotah

11 May 1904 -


Eastman Richard, plant and gin operator.

10 Miles W of Checotah

7 Nov 1917 - 15 Oct 1919



5 Miles SE of Henryetta

3 Oct 1908 - 27 Apr 1918


George W. Stidham, Prominent Creek Leader

8 Miles NW of Eufuala

30 Jan 1897 -


Nearby Settlement of Texas Cherokees

9 Miles NE of Eufaula

27 June 1888 - 16 July 1940


William T. Vernon, Registrar of the treasury

10 Miles SE of Dustin

20 Mar 1912 - 13 April 1914


Vivian Wilhite, Local resident

8 Miles W of Eufaula

13 Jan 1910-30 Sept 1947






 See Grayson above





Page Last Updated:

Thursday, 17-Nov-2011 21:03:46 EST 


McIntosh County Archivist-Shelley Lynch -

Oklahoma State Archivist - Gene Phillips - 


2004-Present   McIntosh County, Oklahoma, USGenWeb Archives Project

The information found on this web site has been submitted to The USGenWeb Archive Project. It is offered free to all who visit. The ownership/copyright stays with the submitter. Please read and respect the copyright on all submittals.

To make this project grow, please submit your information to the Archives. We are looking for transcriptions of cemeteries, deeds, federal census (free, slave, mortality, agriculture, veterans...schedules), state census, vital records (marriage, birth, death), court records (county, federal, civil, circuit, probate....), church records (membership lists, baptisms...), prison records, military records (rosters, muster rolls, service records, pension applications...), land records (deeds, land transfers, federal land grants, surveyor's records..), tax records (land, property, state, federal, local....), newspaper articles (obits, marriage & birth announcements, local events...), family histories, biographies, obituaries and etc. that pertains to McIntosh County, Oklahoma - please send them to for inclusion here. This information needs to be in plain text, no HTML or no images. This way everybody will be able to read it.