J. O. IDE, farmer, P.O. Lehman, was born July 22, 1822, in Lehman township, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of Nehemiah and Barbara (Sweet) Ide, the former of whom was a carpenter by trade and an expert at farming, a man of influence and worth in his day, holding several township offices during his useful life. He was born March 7, 1793, at Stockbridge, Mass., and died September 15, 1872. His family numbered seven children, six of whom grew to maturity, and two of them are now living. Nehemiah was a son of Nehemiah Ide, who was a native of Massachusetts and a Revolutionary soldier, participating in the battle of "Bunker Hill" and other noted engagements fought in defense of liberty and independence. He moved to this county about 1801, locating in Lehman township, where he bought 300 acres of land, part of which is now owned by "Squire" Ide. His children were all born before he moved from Stockbridge, and he brought with him six sons who proved to be pioneers indeed in Lehman township. Their names are Elijah, Nathaniel, William, John, Nehemiah and Oliver. Nehemiah died in 1822 at the age of sixty-one years. J. O. Ide, the subject proper of this sketch, received part of his education at Mauch Chunk, and in early life learned the carpenter's trade at which he worked up to the time of his marriage. He wedded for his first wife Miss Charlotta, daughter of Benjamin F. and Charlotta Wesley, and by her he had two children, one of whom is now living, Luther. For his second wife Mr. Ide married Miss Margaret, daughter of Thomas Shires, by which union there were seven children, six of whom are now living: Thomas N., Walter B. and Arthur B. (twins), William O., Nora M. and Warren J. Mrs. Charlotta (Wesley) Ide died August 9, 1858; Mrs. Margaret (Shires) Ide died April 20, 1885. J. O. Ide entered the army September 14, 1861, as a member of the Sixth Wisconsin Battery, for the term of three years, and participated in all the noted battles of the Western army under Pope. Some of the engagements were Vicksburg, Corinth, Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson City, Champion Hills, Black River and Missionary Ridge. He was honorably discharged at the expiration of his term of service, having proved a patriotic and courageous soldier. In 1865 he moved on his present residence as its owner, and has here since resided. He is a prosperous farmer of liberal means, and a man honored by his fellow citizens. Politically, he is a Republican, and has held the office of assessor eleven years, and justice of the peace, twenty-two years, besides other minor offices. He is a member of the G.A.R. and I.O.O.F., and is a consistent member of the M.E. Church.
C. L. IDE, farmer, P.O. Lehman, was born January 12, 1854, a son of J. O. and Augusta (Wesley) Ide, the former born in Lehman township, the latter in Ross. J. O. is a son of Nehemiah Ide, who was born in Stockbridge, Mass., and came to this county about 1800, locating in Lehman township, where he took up a farm of 800 acres which yielded rich harvests to the labors of his six sturdy sons, who were yeomen not to be found in every township. The Ides are a numerous family, and all spring from Nehemiah Ide, of Stockbridge. Nehemiah, Jr., settled west of Lehman, where he lived an uneventful life, but was a man of influence in his day. He died about the year 1871, at the age of seventy-five. His family consisted of seven children, six of whom grew to maturity, and two of them are yet living. J. O., his son, is now living on his father's old place of 150 acres, and is a man of marked ability and influence in his native township, honored by his fellow citizens above his peers. He has held the office of collector and assessor for several terms. His family consisted of eight children, seven of whom are now living, Charles L. being the eldest in the family. Our subject was reared and educated in Lehman township (with the exception of the first ten years of his life which were spent in Wisconsin, his father having moved there when Charles was eight months old). His education was completed at the Wyoming Seminary, after he had received a liberal training at the common school. In early life he confined himself to teaching school, at which he proved successful, and at which he continued for several terms. After he was married he ceased to teach school, and gave his attention exclusively to agriculture, at which he also succeeds. In 1878 he moved on his farm, which contains 145 acres, some of which is well improved, and gives his attention to general farming. He is a good neighbor, and a hospitable gentleman. Politically, he is a republican. Mr. Ide married on May 18, 1876, Miss Mary, daughter of William and Lydia Allen, and by her he had three children: Rose M., Logan W. and Cora W., the latter being deceased. Mrs. Mary (Allen) Ide was born in Dallas township, January 19, 1851.
CYRUS IDE, farmer, P.O. Lehman, was born August 29, 1837, in Lehman township, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of John and Sally (Foster) Ide, the former born in Stockbridge, Mass., June 10, 1789, the latter in Vermont, September 10, 1797. John was a son of Nehemiah Ide, a native of Stockbridge, Mass., and a Revolutionary soldier of some fame, who fought bravely for liberty and independence. About 1800 he moved to Lehman township, this county, with his family of six sons, and sturdy boys they were too, making good citizens and honest farmers who helped to make the township of Lehman what it is. He died in 1822 at the age of sixty-one. John, his son, followed in the footsteps of his father, and followed farming pursuits, at which he proved an adept. His life was somewhat uneventful. He reared a family of twelve children, eight of whom came to maturity, and seven of them are now living. Cyrus is the ninth of the family, and, like his progenitors, confined himself to the honest tilling of the soil. On January 8, 1863, he married, in Lehman, Miss Susan, daughter of Benjamin and Jemima Wolf, by which marriage there are four children: Eva S. (married to Daniel Crispell, of Lake township), F. J., Mina L. and Stephen W., all yet living and unmarried. Mrs. Ide was born in this county May 22, 1843, and is a most estimable lady. Mr. Ide has lived on his present place since 1865, on a farm of seventy acres, besides which he owns other property near by. He is a practical and prosperous farmer of large and varied experience, and his surroundings show thrift and neatness. He and his wife and children are all members of the Baptist Church. He is a member of the Grange, and politically, he is a Republican.
E. F. IDE, farmer, P.O. Lehman, was born June 30, 1835, in Lehman township, where he was reared and educated. He a son of John and Sally (Foster) Ide, the former born June 10, 1789, in Stockbridge, Mass., the latter September 10, 1797, in Vermont. John was a son of Nehemiah Ide, who was born in Stockbridge, Mass., and was a brave soldier in the Revolutionary war, having been engaged in several battles, including that of Bunker Hill. He moved to this county about 1800, locating in Lehman township, where he purchased 300 acres of land on which he lived all the rest of his life as a worthy citizen. He confined himself to clearing the wilderness, and by the help of his six sturdy sons, who had accompanied him from Massachusetts, he made it to "blossom as the rose." He died in 1822. John, his son, began life as an agriculturist, living near Lehman Centre on a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and on which he built. He was a worthy citizen, a practical farmer and good neighbor. He served the town in various capacities, doing credit to himself and his fellow citizens. Aside from this, his life was uneventful. He died July 19, 1866, at the age of seventy-seven. His family consisted of twelve children, ten of whom grew to maturity, eight of whom are living, E. F. being the ninth in the family. Our subject has always confined himself to farming. In August, 1862, prompted by a spirit of patriotism, he became a member of Company F, One Hundred and Forty-ninth P.V.I., enlisting for the term of three years. He proved his heroism and courage in meritoriously participating in the following battles: Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness and Spottsylvania, at which latter he received a severe wound. Thus was ended his active service for his country, but he served her in other capacities. He was honorably discharged, and now enjoys a pension. Mr. Ide has lived at his present place of residence since 1866, on a farm of 144 acres well improved, the result of his own energy and perseverance in agricultural pursuits. He is a general farmer and a prosperous one, and his surroundings show neatness and taste for the beautiful. On October 5, 1869, he married Miss Mary, daughter of John and Catherine Crispell, and by her he had eight children, five of whom are living: Razena, Ruth, Margaret, Edmund and Russell. Mrs. Ide was born in Lehman, October 15, 1849. Mr. Ide, in addition to his farm, has a mill in which he manufactures lumber to a great extent. He and his wife enjoy full communion with the Baptist Church. He is a member of the Grange; politically, he is a Republican.
J. S. IDE, farmer, P.O. Lehman, was born December 11, 1818, in Lehman township, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of William and Hannah (Sweet) Ide, the former born in Stockbridge, Mass., the latter in Tioga county, N.Y. William was a son of Nehemiah Ide, who is said to have been born in Stockbridge, Mass., was a brave soldier in the Revolutionary struggle, and participated in the battle of Bunker Hill, besides other minor engagements. He moved to this county with his family, consisting of six sons, in about 1801, locating in Lehman township. He had, however, purchased 100 acres of land on which he had paid some money, but after the close of the war he could not meet the other payment; his money being "Continental" was worthless, and thus his claim was forfeited. He purchased 300 acres in Lehman township, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1822, when he was aged sixty-one years. His son William settled on the old homestead, where he spent his life as an industrious farmer, serving his township in various capacities, and proving himself to be a man of worth and influence. He died in 1854 at the age of sixty-six; his family numbered eight children, seven of whom grew to maturity, and three of them are now living, Jacob S. being the second in the family. Our subject has always worked at farming, proving his ability by his work; he is also an adept with tools, being what is commonly called one of Nature's mechanics. At the age of twenty-one, in August, 1840, Mr. Ide married, for his first wife, Miss Sarah, daughter of Zachariah and Charlotta Neely, and by her he had four children, two of whom are living: Abraham N. and Isaac B. For his second wife he married, December 2, 1863, Miss Sarah, daughter of Charles Harris, by which union there are no children. For his third wife Mr. Ide married, January 26, 1878, Miss Sallie, daughter of William Booth, and there is no issue by this marriage. Mrs. Sarah (Neely) Ide died December 12, 1861; Mrs. Sarah (Harris) Ide died February 6, 1877; Mrs. Sallie (Booth) Ide died April 10, 1889. Miss Nellie C., daughter of Allen H. and Lydia A. Booth, of Centre Moreland, is ward of Mr. Ide, and keeps house for him. Mr. Ide is a prosperous agriculturist, living on his own farm of 100 acres on which he moved in 1842. It was then a wilderness, with no improvements nor buildings; now it is a well-cultivated farm with pleasing surroundings. He is a Republican, and has held various town offices with credit to himself and satisfaction of his fellow citizens. He is a consistent member of the M.E. Church.
JAMES IDE, farmer, P.O., Lehman, was born (January 7, 1828), reared and educated in Lehman. He is a son of Oliver and Amanda (Allen) Ide, the former of whom was born in Stockbridge, Mass., March 27, 1798, the latter born in Pittstown, N.Y., November 4, 1799. Oliver was a son of Nehemiah, who was also a native of Stockbridge, Mass., and who fought in the Revolutionary struggle for liberty and independence, displaying heroism and fidelity to his country and the humane principles for which he fought. He moved to Lehman about 1800 with his six sons, who became sturdy pioneers in their township. He was an extensive farmer, owning about 300 acres of land which his sons helped to subdue. Oliver Ide began life on the farm now owned by his son James. He was a carpenter and worked at his trade all the earlier part of his life. His farm comprised 160 acres of land, which he cleared and beautified as much as his day would warrant. Oliver Ide lived to be seventy-two years of age, and died November 4, 1870. His family consisted of nine children, all of whom grew to maturity, and eight of whom are now living. James is the second of the family, and has always confined himself to farming, working with his father until twenty-three years of age. In 1870 he married, for his first wife, Miss Margaret, daughter of Matthew and Sarah (White) Winters. By this marriage there was one child, Clarence J., born March 21, 1871. For his second wife he married, June 30, 1885, Miss Mina, daughter of Clark Wolf, by whom he has had two children, one of whom is now living, George R. Mr. Ide is a general farmer, enterprising and always abreast of the times, and has resided on the farm all his life. He is hospitable and entertaining to a fault. He is a member of the Grange. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church in good standing. Politically, he is a Republican.
SOLOMON P. IDE, farmer, P.O. Idetown, was born, December 10, 1818, reared and educated in Lehman. He is a son of Elijah and Elizabeth (Parker) Ide, the former born in Stockbridge, Mass., October 22, 1781, the latter in Coventry, Conn., October 12, 1787. They were married January 1, 1812. Elijah was the eldest son of Nehemiah Ide, who came to this country with his six sturdy sons about 1800, locating near Lehman Centre, on what is now called Idetown. The names of these pioneers were Elijah, Nathaniel, William, John, Nehemiah, Jr., and Oliver. Elijah settled on part of his father's estate, comprising seventy-two acres, which he improved, and on which he erected buildings and, as the land improved under his touch so he increased in usefulness and influence; he was a member of the M.E. Church, and a competent class leader in those days. While his life was not full of thrilling events, yet it was fraught with goodness and usefulness. His earthly career ended March 16, 1860, at the age of seventy-nine. Elijah Ide reared a family of six children: Elizabeth J., Lucina P., Emiline, Solomon P., Reuben H., and Sarah. Solomon P. began life on the place where his father lived and died, and where he himself was born. His farm, consisting of 125 acres, is cultivated to the highest extent. He is a thorough-going farmer, and raises a general line of produce. He has held the office of auditor for four terms with much credit, and also that of assessor and collector several terms. Like his father, he is living a life of usefulness and happiness. At the age of forty-seven, Mr. Ide married, December 7, 1865, for his first wife, Miss Mary Ann Green, of Newark, N.J. She died without issue November 3. 1867. For his second wife he married, April 22, 1871, Mrs. Margaret Montanye Dymond, by which he had one son, Elijah C., born April 1, 1872. Mrs. Ide was born in Exeter, Luzerne county, May 22, 1833. She is a member of the Baptist Church, in good standing. S. P. Ide is a member in full standing and fellowship of the M.E. Church. Politically, he is a Republican.
WILLIAM F. IMLAY. Proprietor of restaurant, Ashley, was born in Imlaytown, N.J., April 11, 1853, and is a son of Nathan and Harriet (Bird) Imlay, natives of New Jersey, where the Imlay family settled with the first Holland colonies. The Bird family is of French extraction. The father of our subject, who is a farmer in New Jersey, reared a family of sixteen children, thirteen by his first and three by his second wife. Our subject, who is the third in order of birth, was educated in his native town, and at the age of seventeen years came to Ashley to tend bar for his brother-in-law, W. H. Tabler, where he remained two years, and was then conductor on the street car four years, after which, in 1878, he purchased from his brother-in-law, his present place of business. Mr. Imlay was married, November 13, 1884, to Mary W., daughter of Samuel and Rebecca (Johnson) Black, of Ashley, and natives of Ireland. This gentleman is a member of the Jr. O.U.A.M., the I.O.O.F. and Encampment, and is a Democrat in his political views.
SMITH IRWIN, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Dallas, this county, August 5, 1835, and is a son of Thomas and Clarissa (Tuttle) Irwin. The father, who was a native of Orange county, N.Y., settled in Wilkes-Barre in an early day, was the proprietor of the "Spring House Hotel" for a time; lived for forty years in Dallas, held the offices of county commissioner and county treasurer, and was a prominent citizen of his day. His wife was a daughter of Thomas Tuttle, formerly of Orange county, N.Y. a wheelwright by trade, and a pioneer of Dallas, this county. By her he had ten children: Mary Anne (Mrs. S. G. Krick), Andrew, Harriet (Mrs. M. C. Orr), Charles, Armina (Mrs. Philip Shaver), Thomas, Smith, Lavina, Abram and Eliza (Mrs. Jacob Frantz). Our subject was reared in Dallas, this county, where he learned the painter's trade, which he followed for five years. For twenty years he has been a resident of Wilkes-Barre. His wife was Clara, daughter of John and Susannah (Morrison) Wardan, of Dallas, and he is the father of five children, viz: Flora Anna, Minnie Eliza (Mrs. Samuel Hull), Archie Smith, Blanche Wardan and Eva Frances. Mr. Irwin served two and one-half years on the Wilkes-Barre police force. In politics, he is a Democrat.
FREDERICK ITTIG, No. 21 Le Grand avenue, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Germany, March 22, 1836, the third son of Gottlieb Ittig. He received his education in the public schools of his native county, and then learned the trade of cabinet maker. In 1854 he emigrated to this country, arriving at Philadelphia, where he worked at his trade for nearly two years, going from there to Pottstown, where he worked for one and a half years. After this period he resided at Pottsville for three years, removing from that place to Ashland. In 1873, he came to Wilkes-Barre and established a saloon at No. 42 Hazle street, continuing in this with great success until the high-license law went into effect, when he concluded to retire from business. Mr. Ittig was married, June 3, 1859, to Catherine, the second daughter of Edward Kappler, of Ashland, Pa., and one child (now deceased) was born to this union.
ARTHUR IVES, merchant and minor, Plymouth. This gentleman, who represents one of the pioneer families of the Wyoming Valley, was born April 26, 1837, being the sixth in the family of Joseph and Elizabeth (Barney) Ives, natives of Pennsylvania. The paternal grandmother was but ten years of age at the time of the bloody Wyoming Massacre, and the family fled to Sunbury, Pa., in order to save their lives. Arthur, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the public schools of Luzerne county, and until 1860 was engaged in different occupations. At that date, however, he began mining, which he has since followed, working for the last twenty years at the Avondale Colliery. He also has a neat little store on Centre street, which he soon expects to enlarge, putting in a full stock of groceries. Mr. Ives was united in marriage, November 10, 1860, to Miss Susan, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Lape) Clark; the former a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of New Jersey extraction. Five children were born to this couple, viz: Emma, now wife of Clinton Wolfe, of Plymouth, Pa., Thomas, deceased; Cora, deceased; Stella and Polly. Mr. Ives is a Republican, and a member of the I.O.O.F., Shawnee Lodge, No. 225. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church.