DANIEL ACKER, teacher of banjo and guitar, and composer of music, Wilkes-Barre, was born in Conyngham Valley, this county, June 1, 1853, a son of Charles and Mary A. (Belles) Acker. His paternal grandfather, Elias Acker, a native of Pennsylvania, was among the pioneers of Luzerne county, where he owned several large farms, and died there. Charles Acker, father of subject, was a native of Butler Valley, this county, and by occupation a farmer. He was drafted in the Civil war, was a member of Company H, Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania Regiment, and died in 1864 of wounds received at Ream's Station, Va. His wife was a daughter of John Belles, a farmer and miller of Luzerne county, and by her he had three children, who grew to maturity: Daniel, Lydia (Mrs. George Kern) and Ellen (Mrs. Al Kohl). Our subject was reared in Luzerne county, educated at Soldiers' Orphan School, McAllisterville, Juniata Co., Pa., and soldiers' School, at Orangeville, Columbia Co., Pa. He served an apprenticeship of three years at the tailor's trade, and followed the business sixteen years as a journeyman, part of the time teaching music. Since 1888 he has been a resident of Wilkes-Barre, and has built up a successful business. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and Jr. O.U.A.M., and in politics is a Republican.
CHRISTIAN H. ACKERMAN, general grocer, Hazleton. Among the many business men of Hazleton none are more rapidly coming to the front than the one whose name opens this sketch. Mr. Ackerman was born in Germany, December 7, 1863, and is the fourth in a family of nine children of Jacob and Mary (Reinhart) Ackerman, the former a native of Germany, the latter of Swiss extraction. The family came to America 1865, locating at Mauch Chunk, Pa., where they remained two years, afterward removing to this county, where their children were reared and educated. At the close of his school days the subject of this sketch worked about the coal mines, doing everything that falls to the lot of a youth so situated. He continued at that work until 1887, when he came to Hazleton and purchased his present business, which was formerly owned by his father. Mr. Ackerman was married July 4, 1887, to Elizabeth, daughter of John J. Dieter, of Hazleton, and to this union have been born three children, namely: Percy, Luella, and Minnie. Mr. Ackerman votes the Democratic ticket, and is a member of the Royal Aracanum. The family attend the German Lutheran Church.
ANDREW ADDISON, coal dealer, Wilkes-Barre, was born in one of the Southern States January 5, 1849. He is the second son of Andrew Addison, who went to California in 1857, where it is supposed he died, as he was never afterward heard from. Our subject married his first wife, Frances Torthington, May 28, 1873, in Wilkes-Barre; she died April 7, 1882. To this union were born three children: George Edward, Virginia A. and Emily. In March, 1889, Mr. Addison married his second wife, Mrs. Mary Taylor. He established his present business in 1870, soon after coming to Wilkes-Barre. He has always controlled a large and profitable trade, and owns some disirable real estate in the best portion of the city.
CHARLES AITKIN, engineer at the Henry Shaft, Plains, was born in Scotland, August 19, 1860, and is the only son of Charles and Jennette Aitkin. He came to America in June, 1879, and located at Arnot, Tioga Co., Pa., where he remained a few months, and then came to Plains, this county. He was brattice man at the Enterprise Shaft nine months; then fired at the Henry Shaft, five years, at the end of which time he was promoted to engineer, which postion he has since held. Before coming to America he made a trip to Buenos Ayres, South America. Mr. Aitkin was married April 22, 1881, to Miss Helen, daughter of William and Helen Cliland, of Plains. Our subjectis a member of the I.O.O.F. and Encampment, and of the Caledonian Club of Wilkes-Barre. He has always given his political support to the Republican party.
LYMAN ALBERT, teamster and contractor, Miners Mills, was born in Plains township, this county, June 1, 1837, and is a son of George and Mary (Braden) Albert, natives of Pennsylvania and of German origin. In his father's family there were six childen, four of whom are living, viz.: William, Sarah (Mrs. Hiram Yale), Lyman and Joseph, the latter of whom lost a leg in the Civil War. George Albert was in the war of 1812, and was killed in 1872 on the Jersey Central Railroad track in Miners Mills at the age of ninety-four years. Our subject received a common-school education, and at the age of twelve years began working about the mines, which, together with lumbering, teaming and contracting, has furnished him employment since. He was married October 11, 1856, to Miss Christa Derr, daughter of John M. Derr, and they had six children, all of whom died in childhood except Clara; she married James Stocker (now deceased), by whom she had one child, Emma; her second husband was James Davis (also deceased), and her present husband is Robert Hislop, a miner, of Parsons. Mr. Albert and family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a member of the P.O.S. of A. and the I.O.R.M., and is a Republican in his political views. He built his present residence in 1866.
SYLVESTER ALBERT, passenger conductor on the Central Railroad of New Jersey, Ashley, was born in Wright township, this county, September 23, 1852, and is a son of William G. and Eliza (Shaffer) Albert, natives of Pennsylvania, and of Yankee and German origin, respectively. He is a grandson of John and Catharine (Bellers) Albert, early settlers at Parsons, this county; his maternal grandparents were Jacob and Catherine Shaffer. His father, who kept a hotel, was one of the leaders in pushing to completion the Hazleton turnpike, and also named the first postoffice in Wright township. William G. and Eliza (Shaffer) Albert reared a family of eight children, as follows: Roxanna, died unmarried at the age of thirty-eight years; Sylvester; Jesse, started from New York to go to New Mexico, but the ship in which he had taken passage was struck by lightning, and all perished; Sabina; Paxton; Sarah J., and Austin F., who live on Ross street, Ashley, and Clarissa, who died at the age of two years. Our subject was educated in the public schools at South Wilkes-Barre and Ashley, and then picked slate in the breaker for four years. He then followed boating on the Susquehanna canal two years, drove in the mines four years, and then became brakeman on the Central Railroad three years, and since 1875 has been conductor. Mr. Albert was married December 24, 1875, to Miss Ella N. Imlay, daughter of William Imlay. They have had two children, Edna and Harry S., the latter of whom died at the age of four years and five months. Mr. Albert is a member of the F & A.M., I.O.O.F., O.R.C., and is a Republican in his political views.
SYLVESTER ALDEN, engineer at the Delaware & Hudson Shaft No. 4, Plymouth Division. One of the most important and highly responsible positions about a coal mine is the one occupied by the man who handles the levers of the ponderous hoisting engines; and those who occupy these places must be careful, alert and trusty. Such a man is Sylvester Alden, who was born January 1, 1845, the eighth in the family of eleven children of Andrew and Rachel (Fairchild) Alden, natives of this valley. Sylvester was educated in Luzerne county, and at the age of seventeen years, in August 1863, enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Ninety-fourth Regiment, under the immediate command of Col. Naugle and Capt. Updegraff. This company were engaged in no regular battles, but participated in many hot skirmishes, the young soldier coming out unharmed. After the war was closed, Mr. Alden returned to Plymouth, and was employed by the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company in putting up machinery, until 1874, when he was given charge of the hoisting engine at No. 2, remaining two years, at the end of which time he was transfrerred to No. 4, Delaware & Hudson, where he has since been employed. Mr. Alden was united in marriage, March 8, 1872, with Amelia, daughter of Isaac and Mary (Nigh) Mask, natives of Baltimore, Md., and two children have come of this marriage, viz.: Marshall, born February 26, 1873, and now learning the machinist trade; and Stanley, born November 18, 1883. Mr. Alden is a Republican and a member of the I.O.O.F. and G.A.R. The family attend the Presbyterian Church.
JOHN H. ALLBRIGHT, saddler, Plains, was born in Marlton, N.J., November 24, 1861, and is a son of John and Hannah (Worrell) Allbright, also natives of New Jersey, and of German and English origin. The father, who was a saddler by trade, reared a family of three chldren, of whom John H. is the eldest. Our subject learned the saddler's trade with his father, also took instruction of J. H. Hendrick, of Philadelphia; he then worked at his trade at Mt. Holly, N.J., two years; then, in 1884, came to Plains to open a shop for Wilcox & Doron, and in 1886 took the shop for his own account. Mr. Allbright was married April 30, 1890, to Jessie M., daughter of Andrew and Louise (Mills) Williams, of Mill Creek. Our subject's success in life has depended largely on his own exertions. He has always given his support to the Republican party, in his political influence.
ISAAC ALLEN, supervisor, Plains Township, P.O. Hudson, was born March 11, 1841, in South Wales and is a son of Richard and Dinah (Jenkins) Allen, also natives of Wales. Our subject was educated in his native country, and in 1860 he came to America, locating at Olyphant, Pa., where he became engaged in mining. Here he remained but a short time, however, when he came to Mill Creek, at which place he also engaged in mining, in the employ of the Delaware & Hudson Coal Company, with whom he remained until 1887, when, by reason of an injury received to the right hand, he was obliged to quit mining, and subsequently engaged in various kinds of work; was breaker-boss for a time, and in 1890 he was elected supervisor of Plains Township. Mr. Allen was married in 1857 to Miss Mary, daughter of John Reynolds, of Wales, and they have had nine children, viz.: Elizabeth (deceased), Merriam (deceased), Martha (married to Barney Bunker, of Mill Creek), Merriam (second, also deceased), David Richard, Dinah (deceased), Timothy, Thomas, James and Percilla. Mr. Allen has been deacon and elder in the Baptist Church; in politics he is a Republican, but does not permit party lines to influence his choice in local politics.
WILLIAM L. ALLEN, inside foreman, Mocanaqua Mines, P.O. Shickshinny, was born at Londonderry, Ireland, January 19, 1854, a son of John and Martha (Arbuckle) Allen. He was reared and educated in Ireland, and came to America in 1871, locating in Lehigh county, Pa., where he was employed in the Iron Works at Catasauqua four years. In 1875 he located at Ashley, this county, and was employed in the mines of that place and Sugar Notch twelve years; in 1887 he was appointed fire boss at Wanamie Mines, and filled that position two years. He then served two months as mine foreman for the Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Company at South Wilkes-Barre, and in 1889 removed to Mocanaqua, where he has since held his present postion of inside foreman of the Mocanaqua Mines. On January 1, 1878, he married Mrs. Jane (McIntosh) Hays, daughter of John and Martha (Neal) McIntosh, of Ashley, Luzerne Co., Pa., and has one son living, William Leith. Mr. And Mrs. Allen are members of the Presbyterian Church; and he is a Republican.
PETER ALLES, farmer, P.O. Sugar Notch, was born in Germany, January 10, 1840, and is a son of John and Mary (Baker) Alles, who came to America, preceded a year and a half by their two eldest children, in 1853, and resided in Brooklyn one year, and then removed to Wilkes-Barre where the father died in 1871, thence to Sugar Notch where the mother died in 1890. Our subject is a grandson of Jacob Baker, who was for several years teamster in Napoleon's army, and of Frank Alles who died in Germany. The family consisted of seven children besides our subject, as follows: Elizabeth (Mrs. John Baker); John, retired, living in Wilkes-Barre; Mary (widow of Anthony Martin); Margaret (Mrs. Jacob Baker); Jacob, night police in Towanda, Pa., for many years; Catherine (Mrs. Allen Fisher), and Elizabeth (second, both living), (Mrs. Allen Smith). Our subject was educated in his native country, and for one year in Brooklyn, and coming to Luzerne county with his father he worked in the breaker a short time there, then on a farm one year, drove team in the mine four years, served a three years' apprenticeship in New York at the cabinet making trade, drove team for the company at the Baltimore Mine two years, and since 1867 has operated the Company farm. Mr. Alles was married, July 12, 1866, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Windle and Catherine (Teele) Lower, and a granddaughter of John Teele, who served seven years in Napoleon's army and died in Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Alles have had seven children, five of whom are living: Jacob, Mary, Frank, Catherine and Augustus P. The family are members of the Catholic Church; Mr. Alles is a Democrat in politics, and was for three years a member of the council in Sugar Notch borough.
CHARLES H. AMSBRY, agent for W. W. Amsbry, Plains, was born in Broome county, May 2, 1839, a son of Anson and Lydia (Crocker) Amsbry, natives of New York, and of French and English origin respectively. In his father's family there were four children, three of whom are living: James H., a farmer, at Montrose, Pa.; Charles H.; and William W., capitalist and owner of coal land in Clearfield and Luzerne counties, also president of the Fairmont Land Company, residing at Germantown. Charles H. was reared on the farm, and educated in the common schools and Lowell's Business College, at Binghamton. He enlisted at Binghamton September 15, 1861, in what was known as "Dickinson's Guards," Company H, Eighty-ninth N.Y.V.I. In 1862-63 he was second lieutenant; in 1864 first lieutenant and quarter-master; and in 1865, was commissioned captain, but was not mustered in until 1890; he was mustered out of service August 12, 1865. In 1867 he engaged in the mercantile business at Binghamton, N.Y., where he remained eleven years; he then went to Wilkes-Barre, where he was engaged in the treasurer's office for seven months; and thence to Nanticoke, where he had charge of the shoe department of J.H. Hildredth & Co.'s store. In 1880 he went to Camptown, Bradford county, to superintend the mills of Hollenback & Amsbry, which he purchased in 1884, and in April, 1891, removed to Plains. Mr. Amsbry was married December 13, 1866, to Adelia A., daughter of Hurd F. and Mary A. (Lewis) Brownson, of Binghamton. They have two children: Florence B., born March 28, 1869, and Lewis B., born February 3, 1871. He is a member of the G.A.R. and the F. & A.M.; he is a Republican in politics.
ASA ANDERSON, farmer and milkman, P.O. Luzerne, was born in Kingston township, July 4, 1842, where he was reared and educated at the common school. He is a son of John and Rachel (Atherholt) Anderson, the former born in New Jersey, July 23, 1811, the latter in Bucks county, March 5, 1807. John Good was a son of Joseph, who was also a native of new Jersey, and removed to this county in 1815, locating in Kingston township, on the farm now occupied and owned by A. J. Good. After spending some years there he removed to Dallas, where he purchased another farm, which he cleared during his lifetime. He was a very stout, robust man, a hard worker, and a person who believed in practicing the "Golden Rule" in his every day life. He reared a family of five childen by two marriages. His wives were sisters, whose maiden name was Keiser. His son, John, began business for himself in Dallas township, on a farm of fifty acres, on which he resided seven years. He sold that property, and in 1841 bought a farm in Kingston township comprising one hundred acres, to which he added one hundred and thirty more, sixty of which were under cultivation, the greater part being unimproved. John Good held several township offices with much credit to himself and those who chose him. He was very prominent in the Democratic party, whose influence was felt at the polls by his opponents. He died March 4, 1889, at the age of seventy-eight years. His family comprised nine children, seven of whom are living: Margaret, William, Elizabeth, Asa, Walter, James and Laura. Asa is the fifth in the family in order of birth, and has always followed agricultural pursuits. Mr. Anderson was twice married, first, in November, 1867, to Miss Ann, daughter of John and Julia Drutzman; she bore him five children, four of whom are living: John, Nellie, Jennie and Millie. For his second wife he married, March 4, 1880, Miss Emma, daughter of Henry and Ann Rummerfield; by this marriage there has been born one child, Elmer. Mr. Anderson was born near Scranton, October 1, 1854. Mr. Anderson owns fifty acres of productive land, and carries on a dairy, milking eighteen cows. He is an enterprising, practical business man, and has held several township offices. He is a member of the Grange, and the P.O.S. of A. Politically he is a Democrat.
JAMES ANDERSON, merchant and sign painter, Luzerne borough, was born in Kingston township, this county, January 20, 1850, and is the son of John and Rachel (Atherholt) Anderson, natives of Pennsylvania. James Anderson was educated in the common schools of his native county, and graduated from the Wyoming Commercial College. After completing his education, he taught school for a number of years in the county of his birth. He subsequently became a contractor and carpenter, which business he followed for eight years, after which he was employed as clerk for Mr. Atherholt, with whom he remained two years. He then embarked in mercantile business as clothier and shoe dealer, which he continued until his wife assumed control, when it was changed to a general store. Mr. Anderson was married, in 1873, to Miss Margaret, daughter of John and Julia (Walp) Prutzman, natives of Pennsylvania, and this union has been blessed by the birth of three children: Gilbert, Stella and Charles. Mr. Anderson is a stanch Democrat, and has been twice elected assessor of his township, and three times as assessor of his borough. He is a member of the I.O.O.F.
HENRY ANDERSON, clerk, Wilkes-Barre, was born in 1862, at Little York, Pa., and is the second in order of birth in the family of Simon H. and Mary Ann (Weir) Anderson, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. He was educated in the public schools of Little York, and came to this county with his father in 1881. He accepted a position at the "Bristol House" as buyer, where he has remained up to the present day. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party.
M. C. ANDERSON, proprietor of Wonderland Museum and Theatre, Wilkes-Barre was born in Philadelphia, Pa., August 2, 1858, a son of Joseph and Nettie Anderson. They were natives of Austria, and came to America about 1852, locating in Philadelphia, Pa., where the father represented a leading New York commercial house as traveling salesman for many years, and where he yet resides. Our subject was reared in Philadelphia and educated in the public schools. He began life as clerk in a Philadelphia liquor house, and in 1876 went to Galveston, Texas, and clerked in a general merchandise store a few months. He then located in St. Louis, where he secured a position as advance agent for a theatrical company, and later traveled with a circus for six consecutive seasons, as manager of privileges. He next managed a troupe of glass blowers in museums up to 1891. In February of that year he opened "Wonderland" in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., a prominent resort which he has since successfully conducted on a first-class basis, and has made it one of the most attractive resorts in the city. It is noted for its cleanliness and respectability, and stands to-day as one of the leading houses of its kind in America. Mr. Anderson has the reputation of being up to the times in procuring for his many patrons the very best attractions before the public, sparing neither pains nor expense to attain that end. His motto has always been "nothing too good for his patrons."
WALTER ANDERSON, farmer, P.O. Ruggles, was born September 25, 1846, reared and educated in Kingston township. He is a son of John and Rachel (Atherholt) Anderson, the former of whom was born in New Jersey, the latter in Kingston. John was a son of Joseph Anderson, who was a native of New Jersey and removed to this county in its early settlement, locating in Kingston township. He was a worthy man and an enterprising farmer. He had six children, by two marriages. His son, John Anderson, began life in Dallas on a farm of eighty acres, where he lived about ten years. He then removed to Kingston where he also engaged in farming, living here until he died, in 1889, at the age of seventy-eight years. His wife died in 1891, at the age of eighty-five years. Mr. Anderson was a man of influence, and held several township offices, such as assessor, collector, etc. He was a stanch Democrat. He reared eight out of nine children born to him. Walter is the sixth of the family, and has always confined himself to agricultural pursuits. On December 24, 1879, he married Miss Susie, daughter of Elisha and Susie Nulton, to which union has been born one son, Dorey, aged eleven years. Mrs. Anderson was born in Dallas in 1851. Mr. Anderson removed to Lake township in 1884, on a farm of 127 acres. Some of this farm was very old, being one of the first cleared in the town. Most of it is situated in Wyoming county. He erected new buldings on a piece of ground close by the old farm, which he beautified as only a man of taste can do. He is a general and practical farmer, but pays special attention to sheep raising. He is a member of the Grange; he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he has held several offices in the town. Politically he is a Democrat.
PETER FRANK ANDES, plumber and gasfitter, Wilkes-Barre, was born at Hazleton, this county, January 22, 1855. He is the fifth child of Michael Andes, a native of Germany who came to Hazleton in 1835, where he has since resided. Mr. Andes was married, February 10, 1877, to Miss Kittie, daughter of Peter and Kittie Anstett, and to this marriage have been born seven children, five of whom are now living, viz.: Henry, Lizzie B., Frank, Susie and Kate. Mr. Andes is a member of the well-known firm of Andes & Anstett, No. 44 Hazle street. He is a prominent plumber and gasfitter, and since April 1, 1887, when he entered into the partnership, he has enjoyed an extensive trade in every part of the city.
ABRAHAM ANDRES, powder-maker, Wapwallopen, was born in Hollenback township, August 8, 1846, a son of Peter and Mary (Yoey) Andres, the former born in Hollenback township, the latter in Plymouth. Peter was a son of Abraham, who was also a native of this county, and whose father was an old pioneer. Abraham, Sr., owned a large farm in Hollenback township on which he reared five children, who in their succession became sturdy pioneers. Peter began his agricultural life in Hollenback township, on a farm of sixty acres. He was a good, conscientious man, a kind neighbor, and a loyal citizen, and died in 1870, aged sixty years; his wife also died in 1870, aged fifty-six years. Their family consisted of ten children, eight of whom are living, Abraham being the third. Our subject was reared and educated in Hollenback township, and for over twenty-nine years he has followed powder-making, all the time in the employ of the Dupont Company. In 1866 he married Miss Lydia A., daughter of Even and Mary Ann Davis, and to this happy union there were five children born, four of whom are living: George, Morris, Grace L. and Mary A. Mrs. Lydia A. Andres was born in Hollenback township in 1839. Mr. Andres has held several township offices with much credit. He owns a neat house and lot on which he resides, and everything about his place looks cheerful and cosy, showing the taste and latent refinement possessed by the happy inmates. Our subject is a member of the P.O.S. of A.
JACOB ANSTETT, a prosperous plumber and gasfitter of Wilkes-Barre, was born in Germany November 18, 1863. He was married, May 3, 1883, to Sophia, daughter of Michael Andes, who resides in Germany; both of her parents are now over seventy years of age but are still enjoying robust health. To the union of Sophia and Jacob Anstett have been born four children: Emma E., Gertrude Dartha, Caroline Sophia and Frederick Anthony. Mr. Anstett is a man of much shrewdness and ability. He owns some very fine real estate on South River street, and is recognized as one of the most valuable citizens of Wilkes-Barre.
THOMAS W. AREGOOD, engineer, Luzerne, was born in Juniata county, Pa., February 21, 1833, and is a son of Samuel H. and Catherine (Hittle) Aregood, both of whom were born in Catawissa, Pa. Samuel H. Aregood was a miller by occupation, and a man of some political influence in the Democratic party. He removed with his family to this county about 1846, locating in Hanover township, where he pursued his calling, that of miller, until 1861, when he died at the age of sixty years. He reared a family of seven children, all of whom are living. Thomas W. is the sixth in order of birth, was reared and educated in his native town, and is, by occupation, a stationary engineer, a calling he has followed for twenty-two years. He removed to this county with his father in 1846, and has since that time been a resident of the same, having lived at his present home for seventeen years. He is, at present, boss in the Wyoming Coal Company's breaker. In 1861 he showed his patriotism by enlisting in Company A, Fifty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, for the term of three years. He particupated in all the leading battles of the army of the Potomac; at the battle of Fair Oaks he received a minie ball in his right leg, which disabled him for a time, and he received an honorable discharge. In 1864 he re-enlisted in the same command, and served to the close of the war. During his last term of service he was promoted to the rank of duty sergeant, which rank he held at his discharge. He now receives a well deserved pension. On February 18, 1866, Mr. Aregood married Miss Alice, daughter of John and Jane Grainger, to which union have been born twelve children, seven of whom grew to maturity and are now living: Mary E., Emma J., Thomas P., William H., Charles R., Oscar L., and Chester A. Mary E. is married to William J. Denniston, a master mechanic; Emma J. is married to John Perne, a miner. Mrs. Aregood was born in England, August 3, 1846. Mr. Aregood is a member of the G.A.R. Politically, he has been a Republican for the past thirty years.
CHARLES F. ARMBRUSTER, milkdealer, Wilkes-Barre, was born at Saylorsville, Carbon Co., Pa., June 6, 1868, a son of Theobald and Richarda (Reiser) Armbruster, natives of Germany, who came to America about 1857, locating in Carbon county, Pa.; in 1872 they settled in Wilkes-Barre, where they still reside, the father who is a carpenter, having been in the employ of the Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Company since 1875. Their children were five in number, viz.: Edward (deceased), Louisa (Mrs. Fred Sauer), Henry J., Mary (Mrs. Frank Sauer) and Charles F. Our subject was reared in Wilkes-Barre from four years of age, and educated at St. Nicholas German Catholic school. Beginning at the age of thirteen he served an apprenticeship of three years at the cigar-makers' trade, and afterward worked four years. In 1889 he embarked in the milk business, in which he has since successfully continued. He is a member of the St. Nicholas German Catholic Church, St. Joseph's Society and St. Conrad's Young Men's Society; in politics he is a Democrat.
F. HOWARD ARMSTRONG, postmaster at Plymouth, also manager of the first mill at that place, was born at Rileyville, Wayne Co., Pa., January 8, 1844, and is a son of Thomas and Maria (Slaven) Armstrong. Our subject's mother was a native of Ireland; his father was born in England, was an officer in the British army, and traveled a great deal, both by land and water, having been in almost every civilized country in the world. He came to the United States in 1840, settled in the State of New York, and subsequently went to Michigan. He died while on his way home from Australia. Our subject was a member of a family of nine children, of whom only three are now living, namely: Thomas, F. Howard and Margaret (now the wife of Giles Fitch, Jr.). F. Howard Armstrong was reared on the farm and attended the common schools. He enlisted in February, 1862, in the Fifty-ninth Regiment, in Company F, Second Cavalry. He was subsequently promoted to corporal, and rose, step by step, in the regular line of promotion, being second lieutenant when the war closed. He participated in many of the severe battles of the war, viz.: Battle of Cedar Mountain, Second Bull Run, the Wilderness, Petersburg, Spottsylvania and Gettysburg. Mr. Armstrong was taken prisoner and confined in Libby prison for three weeks, and after his exchange again joined his company; he consequently re-enlisted and served until the close of the war, and was mustered out of the service June 26, 1865, in Virginia. He then returned to Pennsylvania, and was employed at various kinds of business. In 1867 Mr. Armstrong came to Plymouth, and has resided here ever since. He was married in January 1869, in Plymouth, to Hannah E. Jaguish, whose parents were of German and Irish descent, respectively. They have four children: Sabra A., assistant postmaster; Chares D., a clerk in the postoffice; Wheeler B. and Henry N. Mrs. Armstrong is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Armstrong is a Republican in politics. He has served as commander of the Captain Asher Gaylord G.A.R. Post, No. 109; he is past grand of Elm Lodge, No. 642, I.O.O.F., and is past worthy chancellor of the Radiant Star Lodge, No. 178, K. of P., of Plymouth.
JAMES ARMSTRONG, miner, P.O., Inkerman, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, December 24, 1854, and is a son of Anthony and Mary A. (Rhuan) Armstrong, natives of the same place, who reared a family of six children, of whom James is fourth in order of birth. Our subject was educated in Ireland, and came to this country in 1868, settling in Sebastopol, this county. In that year he was apprenticed to boot and shoe making, and upon being released as a journeyman, in 1872, he went to work in the mines as a laborer, remaining as such until 1878, when he went west and worked as a miner in Ohio and Indiana. He then journeyed to Chicago, Ill., where he was employed in iron works, returning home to Sebastopol in December, 1880, since which time he has been employed as a miner by the Pennsylvania Coal Company. On August 9, 1882, Mr. Armstrong was united in marriage with Bridget, daughter of Timothy and Mary (Malia) McNulty, natives of County Mayo, Ireland, and they have been blessed with the following issue: Charles, born May 26, 1883; Mary, born May 20, 1886, and Blanche, born July 6, 1889. Our subject is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, the Ancient Order of Hibernians, and the Henry Grattan Literary Association. In politics he is a Democrat, and held the office of school director from 1886 to 1889.
JAMES ARMSTRONG, proprietor of the "Hotel Armstrong," Wilkes-Barre, was born in Hazleton township, this county, August 15, 1855, and is a son of James and Anna (Cassiday) Armstrong, natives of Ireland, who were married at Easton, Pa., and for upward of forty years were residents of Hazleton, this county, where the father died in 1884. He served as township superintendent of schools upward of fifteen years, and was prominently identified with the public affairs of the township. His children were Michael, Mary, James, Anna, Barney, Anna (second) and John. Our subject was reared in Hazleton, educated in common schools, and began life in the mines in which he worked in various capacities for ten years. He then served as clerk in hotels of Hazleton and Wilkes-Barre six years, locating in the latter city in 1884, and in 1888 he became proprietor of the "Hotel Armstrong," which he has since successfully conducted. In 1882 he married Mary, daughter of Jacob Harman, of Williamsport, Pa. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics he is a Democrat.
JOHN J. ARMSTRONG, foreman of the Gazette composing-room, Pittston, was born in Pittston, February 25, 1859, a son of J. R. and Charlotte (Thomas) Armstrong, both natives of Wales. They came to the United States in 1858 and located in Pittston, where they have since resided, the father having filled the postion of fire-boss for the Pennsylvania Coal Company at their No. 10 Shaft from the time of his arrival until the present. They had a family of seven children, viz.: J. J., William (deceased), B. F., now general secretary of the Y.M.C.A., at Bloomsburg, Pa., Ella, Rachel, Charlotte and Minnie. Our subject was reared in Pittston and educated in the public schools of that city. While a boy he worked as slate picker at Tompkins' Shaft, but at the age of ten years he secured a postion in the general store of James Mayo, where he worked for about one year; then until his fifteenth year he was employed at various occupations about his native city. He then entered a printing office in Dover, N.J., and began to learn the trade he has followed with more or less persistency until the present time. After a few months spent in Dover he returned to Pittston and secured a postion in the Gazette office of that place, where he remained twelve years; then entered mercantile business on Main street, Pittston, and remained there two years, after which he removed to Danville, Pa., and opened a branch tea store, working in the interest of the Grand Union Tea Company, of New York City. He was there three years, at the end of which time he returned to Pittston and secured the postion of foreman of the Gazette composing room (having held that position before he embarked in the mercantile business), and has since served in that capacity. Mr. Armstrong has a host of friends in his native city, and commands the love and respect of all who know him. He is a member of the Luzerne Baptist Church of West Pittston; of the Y.M.C.A., of Pittston, and of the P.O.S. of A. Politically he is a Republican.
WILLIAM ARMSTRONG, inside mine foreman, Wilkes-Barre, was born in St. Austell, Cornwall, England, February 1, 1838, a son of John and Mary (Robbins) Armstrong. He was reared and educated in his native place, and worked at the machinist's trade, which he afterward gave up on the death of his master, and then engaged in mining up to 1863, and in August of that year he came to America, and located at Hancock, Mich., where he was employed in the copper mines until November, 1864. On January 1, 1865, he arrived in Wilkes-Barre, and worked in the coal mines until his return to England, in June of same year. In April, 1867, he sailed from England to California, and there and in Nevada worked in the gold and silver mines until 1869. January 1, 1870, he again located in Wilkes-Barre, where he has since resided, and where he worked in the mines until December, 1870, when a fire broke out in the Baltimore Mine No. 2, and he was assigned to charge of same; it is still burning, though under control. In February, 1885, he took charge of the Baltimore Mine No. 3, as inside foreman, and still holds that position. Mr. Armstrong was married September 26, 1865, to Mary, daughter of Joseph and Mary B. (Thomas) Rowe, of St. Austell, England, and has four children living: William H., Ada M. R., John J. and James F. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Sons of St. George; politically, he is an advocate of prohibition, and is president of the Temperance Union of Wilkes-Barre.
CHARLES D. ARNOLD, engineer on the Delaware & Hudson Railroad, P.O. Hudson, Plains township, was born in Muhlenburgh, Pa., July 8, 1842, son of Levi and Phoebe (Benscoter) Arnold, natives of Pennsylvania, of English origin. He is a grandson of Stephen Arnold, who came from Connecticut to the Wyoming Valley at a very early date. His father, who was a carpenter and later a farmer, reared a family of thirteen children, seven of whom are living, and of whom he is the seventh in order of birth. He spent his boyhood on the farm, receiving a common school education, and at the age of fourteen began driving a mule on the canal, which he followed some time. He enlisted at Wilkes-Barre, September 16, 1861, in Company D, Ninth P.V.C., served his country faithfully, and was discharged, on surgeon's certificate of disability, June 10, 1864. He then engaged in farming for one year, after which he kept canal grocery and postoffice at West Nanticoke for two years. In 1868 he came to Plains, and after firing for three years on the Delaware & Hudson Railroad, was promoted to his present position. In 1871 he purchased his present residence and removed there. Mr. Arnold was married, April 15, 1866, to Harriet E., daughter of Thomas R. and Susan (Macbeth) Chapin, natives of Pennsylvania and Indiana, respectively. They have had born to them six children, three of whom are living, viz.: Jaell M., locomotive engineer, Plains; Mrs. Dr. Lloyd, Wilkes-Barre, and Ray H. This gentleman and wife are members of the Christian Church, consolidated with the Primitve Methodist; he is also a member of the G.A.R., and the I.O.O.F., and in politics is a Democrat.
JAELL M. ARNOLD, engineer on the Delaware & Hudson Railroad, Hudson, Plains township, was born in Nanticoke, Pa., May 15, 1867, and is a son of Charles D. Arnold. Our subject was educated in the common schools and in Carbondale high school, and began firing on his father's engine before he was seventeen years old. After following this two years and eight months, he was made extra engineer, and in 1888 was promoted to his present position; he built his present beautiful residence in 1891. Mr. Arnold was married, October 13, 1891, to Miss Anna, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Youle) Dingwall, of Plains. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is steward; he is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, the I.O.R.M., and Equitable Aid Union; in his political views he is independent.
MILTON H. ARNOLD, bookkeeper and treasurer West End Coal Company, Shickshinny, Pa., was born in Union township, this county, March 26, 1856, a son of Reuben D. and Leah (Santee) Arnold. His paternal grandfather, Stephen Arnold, and maternal grandfather, John Santee, were both pioneers of Union township. Reuben D. Arnold was born at Muhlenburg, Union township, was a carpenter by trade, and died at Mocanaqua, August 6, 1884, aged sixty-four years. His children were six in number, viz.: Sarah E. (Mrs. Bowman Garrison), Aquilla (deceased), Virginia (Mrs. M. C. Bogia), Leah H., Milton H. and Martha J. Our subject was reared in Union township, educated in public schools, afterward taking a commercial course at Wyoming Seminary, Kingston. In early manhood he taught school for four years; he was operator for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad two and half years; and agent for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Mocanaqua three years, and since 1886 has held his present position with the West End Coal Company. He married, December 22, 1881, Loretta, daughter of Nehemiah and Catherine (Werkheiser) Richart, of Espy, Columbia Co., Pa., and has one son, Matthew C. Mr. Arnold is a member of the M.E. Church, and in politics is a Republican.
THOMAS R. ARNOLD, the popular proprietor of "Lee Park Hotel," Wilkes-Barre, was born in Smithfield, Monroe Co., Pa., July 28, 1849, a son of William and Mary J. (Nicely) Arnold, natives of England and Ireland, respectively, and early settlers of Monroe county, Pa. Our subject was reared in Bradford county, Pa., educated in the public schools, and began his business life as clerk in a general store at Camptown, Pa., serving in that capacity four years. He afterward engaged in lumbering at Skinner's Eddy, in Wyoming county, and in 1877 he became proprietor of the "Lee Park Hotel," which he has since successfully conducted, having made it a popular resort. Mr. Arnold married Amanda, daughter of William and Patience (Brown) Passmore, of Bradford county, Pa., and by her he has three children: Arthur, Jennie and Eva.
PETER ASHELMAN, teamster, Plains, was born in Wilkes-Barre township, April 22, 1830, and is a son of Christian and Elizabeth (Joslin) Ashelman, the former a native of Switzerland, the latter of Ohio, and of New England stock. In his father's family there were thirteen children, five of whom are living, and of whom he is the third. He embarked in life working at farming, which has been the chief occupation of his life. He worked at the carpenter trade in the car shops of Kingston two years, 1865-1866, and also at huckstering two years, 1857-8. He farmed on the Company farm, where James Howey now lives, for twenty-four years, and in 1891 removed to Plains, where he now resides. In 1849-51 Mr. Ashelman was engaged in farming, and about the Iron Works in Columbia and Mountour counties. Mr. Ashelman was married, December 24, 1851, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of William and Margaret (Scott) Lewis, natives of Orange county, N.Y., and England, respectively, and of English descent. This union has been blessed with ten children, six of whom are living, viz.: Margaret E., married to W. C. Cressy, of Wilkes-Barre; Mary A., married to John Flaherty, of Plainsville; Ida R. and Eva M. (twins), who live with their father; Harlow D., works in the steel works at Scranton (his twin died in infancy); and Susan F. Mr. Ashelman and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is trustee and steward. In his political views he was a radical Whig, and on the formation of the party, became a radical Republican, and, for the last eight years has been a Prohibitionist; he has held the office of school director in Plains township.
DAVID ASTON, station agent for the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, and proprietor of Aston's restaurant, Plainsville, was born in Pontypridd, South Wales, October 7, 1832, and is a son of Edward and Rebecca (Edwards) Aston. His father, who was a timber merchant and farmer, reared a family of nine children, seven of whom are living and of whom he is the third. Our subject came to America in 1863, and located at Jersey City, where he worked at the blacksmith trade for a short time; he then went to Plymouth, where he worked in the mines one year, after which he came to Wilkes-Barre, and engaged in the hotel business. He was successively proprietor of the "North Branch Hotel," Canal street, one year; the "Old Wyoming Hotel," Main street, three years; the "Atlantic Hotel," Northampton street, one year; the "Celtic Hotel," East Market street, one year; and in 1873 became proprietor of the "Plainsville Hotel." He remained there six years, and then removed to his present place of business; since 1874 he has been station agent. Mr. Aston was married August 16, 1857, to Miss Mary, daughter of William and Catherine (Morgan) Duggins, natives of Wales, and they have had fourteen children, four of whom are living, viz.: Catherine, married to Daniel Jenkins, a machinist of Pittsburgh; Gwenllian, married to Samuel Wall, a fireman of Wilkes-Barre; Edward, station agent at Laurel Run; and Rebecca A., who lives with her father (she is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Plains). Mr. Aston is a member of the Knights of Honor, and politically is a Republican; from 1873 to 1879 he held the office of postmaster at Plainsville. Mrs. Aston, who was born March 31, 1839, died October 13, 1891, after a long and severe illness.
D. W. ATHERHOLT, P.O. Luzerne, was born in Kingston township, January 30, 1857, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of David and Charlotte (Anderson) Atherholt, the former of whom was born in Bucks county, the latter in Dallas township, this county. David was a son of Christian Atherholt, who removed to this county about 1804, locating in Kingston township on what is known as "Bunker Hill," where he owned 162 acres of land. He was a hard-working and industrious man, and cleared quite a good share of the farm during his life-time, and also made many other improvements, which advanced agricultural pursuits in the county. He died at the age of eighty-four years. His family comprised six children, one of whom is now living, Mrs. H. Harris. His son David was the eldest of the family, and was about five years of age when he removed with his father to this county. He always confined himself to a pastoral life, and lived on the farm his father occupied. To this farm of 162 acres he added 178 more, making in all 340 acres, besides seven acres in Luzerne borough. The results of his labor show that he was a man of determination and push, and as honest as he was hard-working. He was a stanch Republican in politics. He died January 3, 1891, at the age of eighty-seven years. His family numbered six children, five of whom are living: Harry, John, Samuel, Charles and D. W. The latter is the youngest of the family. Like his father and grandfather, he has chosen for his vocation agricultural pursuits, to which he is well adapted, being a robust and muscular man. He is a practical farmer, and promises well to make his mark in life in his chosen line. His farm comprises eighty-four acres of good hillside land. On January 1, 1876, he married Miss Sarah, daughter of Palmer and Emma Steel; the former was killed in the Avondale disaster in 1869. To this union were born eleven children (ten of whom are living): Susan, David, Jennie, Tenie, John, Lizzie, Pearl, May, Maud, Asa, and Estella. Mrs. Sarah Atherholt was born in Plymouth, June 20, 1858. Mr. Atherholt is a member of the P.O.S. of A., and is a Republican.
HARVEY ATHERHOLT, a farmer, P.O. Dallas, was born May 8, 1844, in Kingston township, this county, where he was reared and educated. He is a son of David and Charlotte (Anderson) Atherholt, the former born in Kingston, the latter in Dallas. David was a son of Christian Atherholt who, with his brother Frederick, moved from Berks county to this county in its early settlement, locating in Kingston township, north of Luzerne borough; where they purchased ninety acres of land each. Christian was the father of seven children, one of whom is now (1891) living. David, his son, began life as a farmer, and was successful and practical; the ninety acres Christian had soon grew to three hundred under his masterly touch. Not only was he a practical farmer, but also a good cooper and an excellent blacksmith, and he accumulated his large property by a perseverance and honest industry. Besides his farm, he owned the property known as the "Hancock place." After a life of usefulness and toil, he departed this life January 3, 1891, at the age of eight-seven years. His family numbered six children, five of whom are at this writing living, Harvey being the first in the family. He has always confined himself to agricultural pursuits. At the age of twenty-six, he married Miss Eugene, daughter of Charles and Sarah Scovill, and by her had children as follows: Judson, Jesse, Boyd, Frank, James, Annie, Jacob and Daisy, all yet single. Mrs. Eugene (Scovill) Atherholt was born at Kingston township in 1852. Harvey Atherholt, like his father, is a practical farmer, residing on a farm of eighty-four acres, on which he moved in 1885. He is a general agriculturist, and raises a mixed crop. As a farmer, he is industrious; as a husband, he is kind; as a citizen, he is loyal; politically he is a Republican.
FREDERICK H. ATHERTON, in his lifetime a citizen of Wyoming borough, was a son of James and Martha (Hancock) Atherton, natives of Pennsylvania, and of English origin. James Atherton was a fruit grower by occupation; he reared a family of five children, of whom our subject was the first. Frederick H. Atherton was educated in the common schools, and began life as a farmer with his father, which occupation he followed for some years. He then engaged in the mercantile business at Orange, Pa., for two years, when, owing to failing health, he retired; he died October 6, 1879. On December 21, 1869, Mr. Atherton was married to Margaret, daughter of John and Mary A. (Ruggles) La Bar, natives of Pennsylvania and of French and English origin respectively. This happy union was blessed with three chldren, viz.: Lydia M., born March 21, 1873, now attending school at Hackettstown, N.J.; James, born June 7, 1875, attending Wood's Business College, Scranton, Pa.; and Fredrica, born February 16, 1879, now attending the Wyoming High School. Mr. Atherton was a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the I.O.O.F., and in politics was a sound Republican. Mrs. Atherton is a member of the Methodist Church of Wyoming, and a devoted Christian mother, whose every thought is for the welfare and happiness of her three bright and promising children.
JAMES N. ATHERTON, outside foreman, No. 5 Shaft, Delaware & Hudson Canal Company, Plymouth division, was born in Kingston in April, 1846, and is the youngest in a family of ten children born to Anson and Sally (Mitchell) Atherton, also natives of Luzerne county. He was educated at his birthplace, and in 1864, when yet a lad, he enlisted in Company G, Third Pennsylvania Artillery. He participated in many skirmishes, and at the fierce encounter of Dutch Gap was wounded in the knee. His discharge did not take place until six months after the war was closed, as he was retained as one of the guards over Jefferson Davis. After returning home Mr. Atherton engaged in farming, which he continued until 1873, when he removed to Plymouth and did outside work at Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4, until 1883; he was then given charge of No. 4, where he remained seven years, afterward taking charge of No. 5, where he is now outside foreman. He has under his charge about 318 men, ninety-five outside and 223 inside. The average output of the mine is 800 tons per day. The shaft from the top surface is about 240 feet deep. The subject of this sketch was married at Plymouth, March 29, 1870, to Miss Delia, daughter of Joseph and Katie M. (Oakley) Norris, natives of New York. One child has been born to this union, Arthur E., who now holds the position of weigh-master at Shaft No. 4, Delaware & Hudson Canal Company. Arthur E. was born April 24, 1873. Mr. Atherton is a Republican in political matters. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church.
THOMAS HENRY ATHERTON, The name of this gentleman was originally Thomas Atherton Henry, but was changed to Thomas Henry Atherton by act of the Legislature of Pennsylvania, March 15, 1871. He was born in Kingston township, Luzerne Co., Pa., July 14, 1853, and is descended, on his father's side, from Robert Henry, who emigrated from Ireland to Chester county, Pa., in 1722. The Henry family has produced a number of remarkable men. William Henry, a grandson of Robert, was armorer to Braddock's expedition in 1754, and was afterward armorer for the White forces in the Indian war of 1757. In 1756 he lived in Lancaster, Pa., and one day seeing Benjamin West chalking on a fence, he fell into conversation with him, learning that he wanted to be a painter, but had neither paints nor brushes with which to begin. These Mr. Henry supplied, afterward encouraging West in every possible way, and enabling him to lay the foundations of the wonderful reputation he subsequently achieved. Mr. Henry served in the Legislature, and held many other important positions. He was the inventor of several highly useful mechanical appliances; was a worker with Fitch & Fulton in the perfection of the steamboat, and was largely interested in the development of the first canal in the State. William Henry, his son, was a justice of the peace, a judge of the common pleas, and a Presidential elector, as which he voted for George Washington for President. His son, a third William, and the father of Thomas Henry Atherton, was treasurer of the Susquehanna & Delaware Canal & Railroad Company, which, in 1832, undertook the construction of a railroad from the Delaware to the Susquehanna. This took him into Lackawanna county, where he conceived the idea of founding a town by the erection of a furnace where Scranton now stands. This he succeeded in doing, with the aid of George and Selden T. Scranton (the latter his son-in-law), both of New Jersey. The town was first called Harrison, then Scrantonia and finally Scranton, and Mr. Henry must fairly be regarded as its real founder. He married twice. By his first wife he had four sons, all of whom rose to good positions, and two daughters, one of whom married Selden T. Scranton, and the other, Charles Scranton. His second wife was Sarah Atherton, a daughter of Elisha Atherton, by which marriage he had one daughter, Lydia Henry (wife of Rev. W. S. Stites), and one son, Thomas Henry Atherton. The Athertons trace their lineage back to King John's time, when one of the name was high sheriff of Lancashire. Members of the family distinguished themselves in the early history of the Wyoming Valley. Thomas Henry Atherton received his preliminary education at the Wilkes-Barre Academy and Luzerne Presbyterial Institute, Wyoming, Pa., and afterward, in 1874, graduated from Princeton College. He read law with Judge Rice, and was admitted to the bar September 29, 1876. Mr. Atherton married October 7, 1880, Melanie Parke, daughter of Rev. N. G. Parke, D.D., of Pittston, and they have four children. Mr. Atherton is a Republican in politics, but has never aspired to office. He is a member of the Presybterian Church, and was a delegate to the General Assembly of the Church held in Omaha in 1892.
MICHAEL ATHEY, proprietor of "Miners Mills Hotel," was born in Low Fell, near Newcastle upon Tyne, County of Durham, England, March 12, 1837. He is a son of George and Bessie (Surtess) Athey. His father, who was a mine foreman, reared a family of five children, three of whom are living, viz.: Michael, John and Joseph, of Donaldson, Pa. A half-brother, George Athey, resides in the same place, where the family located on their arrival in America, in 1855. Our subject was educated in England, where he also worked about the mines; he followed mining in America for fourteen years; was inside foreman at Donaldson for six years, and, in 1883, removed to his present place of business. Mr. Athey was married December 15, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Ann (Moore) Fotheringill, natives of Castle Eden, County of Durham, England. To this union have been born nine children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Elizabeth, who married Joseph Moore, an attorney at law, Miners Mills (they have one child, Isabelle); Joseph M., a brakeman on the Delaware & Hudson Railroad; Ann, who married John Rawling, a carpenter, Miners Mills (they have one child, Elizabeth); George S., a fireman at the Pine Ridge Colliery; Belle M., Alice E. and Margaret Beatrice, the latter three still at the paternal fireside. Mr. Athey is a master mason at Tremont, Pa., a Knight Templar at Lebanon, Pa., and a member of the I.O.O.F. at Donaldson, Pa.; he is a Republican in his political views, has held the office of school director, and is at present a member of the election board.
THOMAS ATKINSON, farmer, P.O., Lehman, was born in the County of Westmoreland, England, January 16, 1832, son of James and Catherine (Black) Atkinson, both of whom were born in England. Their family consisted of six children, five of whom grew to maturity, and four of whom are now living. Thomas is the third of the family; he was reared and educated in the Greyrigg School, England, in early life learning the shoemaker's trade, at which he had worked about nine years. In after years he also learned the stone mason's trade. On January 14, 1856, at the age of twenty-four, he married Miss Charlotte, daughter of Rev. Robert and Jane Wilkinson. By this union there were born to them eight children, seven of whom grew to maturity, viz.: Esther, Catherine J., Mary E., William G., Margaret, Edith V. and Charles W. Esther married James Hilderbrand, a prosperous farmer; Catherine married Joseph P. Worthington, a mechanic; William G. married Miss Jennie France. Mr. Atkinson came to this country in 1857, landing at New York City, and first locating in Ross township, where he remained two years. From there he removed to Lehman, where he remained for four years; Then, in 1862, moved to Jackson, where he purchased a farm of eighty-nine acres, on which he now resides, and which he has beautified by the building of a fine house of large dimensions and handsome appearance. On August 29, 1876, his barn, on which there was no insurance, was burned down, the fire being the supposed work of an incendiary. Mr. Atkinson is a practical farmer in every sense of the word. His surroundings show the care and watchfulness, as well as thoughfulness, exercised in the government and execution of his plans. He has held several offices of trust, among them that of poor director for eight years, school director for five years, and is now justice of the peace. Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson are both members of the Church of England. Politically he is a Democrat.
L. D. AUSTIN, stationary engineer, Parsons, was born April 23, 1841, in Jefferson county, N.Y., and is a son of Freeman and Susan (Fisher) Austin, natives of New York, the former of Scotch and the latter of English lineage. Mr. Austin was reared on a farm, educated in the common school, and at the age of fourteen began life as a farm laborer, which occupation he continued until he was eighteen when we went to Watertown, N.Y., and entered the employ of Remington & Son, paper manufactures. In their employment he remained until the breaking out of the Civil War, when he promptly responded to his country's call, by enlisting at Copenhagen, N.Y., April 27, 1861, in company B, Thirty-fifth N.Y.V.I. He participated in the following engagements: Rappahannock Station, Sulphur Springs, Gainesville, Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain, Antietam and Fredricksburg; he also did provost duty near Fredricksburg, for several months, and was mustered out at Elmira, N.Y., June 16, 1863. On December 9, 1863, he re-enlisted at Elmira, this time in Company D, Sixteenth New York Heavy Artillery, which was stationed at Gloucester and was sent from there to Fort McGruder, where he remained until the fall of Richmond. His battalion was then sent to that city, and from there to City Point, where they were in guard of Prisoners; from there they proceeded to Alexandria, whence they went to Washington, where our subject was mustered out August 15, 1865. He then returned to Elmira, N.Y., where he was engaged in the manufacturing business until 1868, in which year he came to Parsons, this county, where he has since remained, engaged chiefly in stationary engineering. Mr. Austin was married December 10, 1863, to Miss Isabella, daughter of John Pettigrew, of Olyphant, Pa., and they had seven children, viz.: John, a stationary engineer at Parsons; Freeman, a blacksmith at Parsons; Edward (deceased), Jessie, Almena, Agnes and Emma. Mr. Austin is a member of the F. & A.M., the I.O.O.F. and the K. and H. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in his political preferences he is a firm advocate of the doctrine of the Prohibition party. His father and four brothers were soldiers in the Civil war, all surviving but the father who died of fever.
ROBERT AVENY, proprietor of the "Van Leer House," South Wilkes-Barre, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, August 4, 1839, and is a son of James and Agnes (Gilmour) Aveny, and is of English and Scotch descent. He was reared in his native city, where he served an apprenticeship of five years at the machinist's trade, afterward working as a journeyman for nine months. In 1863 he came to America, locating in Holyoke, Mass., and for about one year was employed as a maker of guns for the United States army in the Springfield Gun Works. In 1864 he came to Pennsylvania, and ran a locomotive between Scranton and Hoboken about four months, with a train carrying soldiers for the United States army. He then engaged as a machinist with the Delaware & Hudson Coal Company, serving in that capacity for seventeen years and nine months without ever being "docked" a day. In 1876 he ran the engine at Prospect Mines for a time, when he took charge of The machines and pumps at what is now Haddock, Shonk & Company's Mines, continuing at same ten years, and since 1887 he has been the popular proprietor of the "Van Leer House" at South Wilkes-Barre. In 1864 Mr. Aveny married Katie, daughter of Francis and Katie ______, of Glasgow, Scotland, and has three children living: Maggie (Mrs. Lewis Morrison), Agnes and Annie. Mr. and Mrs. Aveny are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., I.O.R.M., K. of D.C., K. of P., and K. of H. Politically, he is a Republican.
ALFRED AYERS, farmer, P.O. Dallas, was born November 18, 1836, reared and educated in Dallas. He is a son of Elijah and Catherine (Honeywell) Ayers, both of whom were natives of New Jersey, the former born February 11, 1804, the latter on June 14, 1809. They were married December 28, 1827, at Dallas. Elijah Ayers moved to Dallas about 1821, locating in East Dallas on a small farm of twenty acres, where he remained but a short time. He was a blacksmith by trade; but on his arrival in this country there was little to be done at his line of business, consequently he embarked in agricultural pursuits, at which he made a complete success. In 1832 he moved to West Dallas, on a farm of fifty acres of wild land, not cultivated by the hand of man; nature ruled supreme. His team was a yoke of oxen which suited the pioneer in his onward march to civilization. By hard labor and by strict attention to his own interests, yet not infringing on the rights of others, he kept adding farm after farm at various times, till his property aggregated about 200 acres. He was a man of sober habits—honest and industrious. In his pioneer life, the deer and the bear were in abundance, but he was not given to hunting. He lived to be eighty-five years old, and died August 31, 1888; his wife passed away October 3, 1886. In politics he was a stanch Republican. His family consisted of eight children, five of whom reached maturity and are now living, Alfred being the second in the family. Our subject always confined himself to agriculture, and on the same farm on which he was born. He is a practical, wide-a-wake farmer, keeping well abreast of the times, and is well posted on all the modern methods of agriculture. His farm is a model one; his buildings are neat and commodious, while his house is the model of a perfect home, made so by his most excellent wife who is a "Companion meet for him." While he is a general or "mixed" farmer, he gives preference to butter-making. He has many improvements on his premises, one of which is a hydraulic ram which supplies his stock with fine spring water. On June 2, 1888, Mr. Ayers married Miss Emma G., daughter of Rev. Abraham and Mary Ann Frisby. There is no issue. Mrs. Emma G. (Frisby) Ayers was born in Plymouth, August 29, 1855; she is a consistent member of the Christian Church, and a most worthy lady. Mr. Ayers is a member of the Grange, and in politics he is a Republican. By his good, honest, upright and Industrious life, he wields an influence that is felt by all who come in contact with him.
JAMES AYRE, fire boss in the Pine Ridge Colliery, Miners Mills, was born in the County of Durham, England, May 23, 1847, and is a son of George and Elizabeth (Ferry) Ayre. His father, who was a ship carpenter, reared a family of two children, viz.: James and John, the latter of whom died at the age of one year and one week; the mother dying when our subject was but three years old, his father married a second time. James Ayre came to America in 1877, and located at Miners Mills, where he began working in the mines with his father, first at track-laying and later at mining, timbering and tending shaft, and has held his present position for ten years. Mr. Ayre was married September 14, 1869, to Miss Hannah, daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Rider) Little, of England, and they have eight children, viz.: Thomas, now learning the plumber's trade in Wilkes-Barre; John G., at present runner in the Delaware Mine; Richard, driving in the Pine Ridge Mine; Henry, news agent at Miners Mills, and Robert, Elizabeth H., and Charlotte J. attending school. Mr. Ayre and wife are members of the Primitive Methodist Church; he is a member of the Sons of St. George, and politically is a Republican.
JOHN AYRE, merchant, Miners Mills, was born in the County of Durham, England, December 1, 1854, and is a son of George and Elizabeth (Allen) Ayre, the former of whom has been twice married, our subject being a son by the second wife. His father, who is a ship-carpenter by trade, came to America in 1869, locating in Miners Mills, where he worked at carpentering, and he is still hale and hearty, living with his sons. The family consisted of two children: George, who is a carpenter and contractor in Marshfield, Oreg., and John. Our subject commenced life working about the mines, which vocation he followed eleven years; in 1879 he made a short visit to England, and in 1880 embarked in his present business. In 1884 he built his large double store and residence attached. In 1889 he made a tour of the West, traveling through thirteen States. Mr. Ayre was married January 13, 1876 to Miss Lydia, daughter of Richard and Mary (Morris) Lamborn, of Miners Mills, and they have seven children, viz.: Mary, Elizabeth, Alice, George, Lottie, John and Blanche. Mr. Ayre and his family attend the Primitive Methodist Church; he is Republican in his political views, and has been a member of the borough council.