Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens
Lawrence County Pennsylvania 1897
[p. 413] one of the foremost men and progressive farmers of Wayne township, Lawrence County, who is engaged very extensively in the raising of all kinds of fruit that grow in this clime, and in market-gardening, was born Aug. 15, 1840, on the farm where he now makes his home and carries on his work. Our subject is a son of David C. and Margaret (Davidson) Marshall, grandson of John and Elizabeth Marshall, and great-grandson of Hugh and Hannah Marshall.
Hugh Marshall, who was a native of northern Ireland, emigrated from his native heath with his wife and children, and made their first stopping-place in Pittsburg, whence Hugh Marshall in company with a Mr. Crawford set out for what is now Big Beaver township. They made a small clearing, but were hindered by the Indians to a great extent, and made little progress until William Penn made his memorable treaty with the Indians, and bought the territory from them, thus establishing peace between the untutored savage and the advance guards of civilization. There were four sons in this pioneer family, John, Robert, Hugh, and William; and at the death of the father, the task of carrying on his work fell to the oldest son, John.
In time John Marshall became the owner of 400 acres of land, and gave to each of his sons a good farm of large dimensions. He was a stirring, hard working pioneer, and brought about all the increase in his wordly possessions by his own efforts. He lived to the age of seventy-five, while his wife was seventy-eight when she was called to lay down her earthly burden and enter into rest. Their children were: David C.; John; Marvin; Margaret; and Hugh James. Mr. Marshall during the War of 1812 was a private, stationed at Fort Erie.
David C. Marshall spent his boyhood and youth at home in Beaver County, and on attaining his majority bought the Roberson farm of 104 acres in Wayne township, Lawrence Co., Pa., a great portion of which he cleared in the subsequent years of his occupancy. In 1857 he built a home on it, and gradually instilled a spirit of thrift and prosperity into the whole place, adding extensive barns in 1873. Mr. Marshall has had large interests in sheep-raising, but of late years has paid more attention to dairying and to grain production. At the present time, because of the weight of his years, being in his eighty-second year, he rents the farm, and is leading a life that is practically retired.
Our subject's mother, Mrs. Margaret (Davidson) Marshall, whose father was a native of Ireland, was born in Beaver Co., Pa., July 1, 1816, and passed away July 5, 1895. The children in the parental family are as follows: Elizabeth Jane, who has devoted herself to the care of her parents in their last years, and who is now house-keeper for her father; John, the subject of this narrative; Sarah Margaret, who married I. T. Spangler, and is now demised; Andrew, who died at the age of six; William Hillis, an account of whose life may be found on another page; Mary M.; and Nancy Rachel, deceased. Originally, our subject's father was a Whig, but since the war he has been faithful to the tenets and principles of the Republican party. He has held various offices of trust in the township, and is a strong, virile character. It is scarcely necessary to say that this upright man and good citizen is receiving his just reward in the appreciation of his many friends and neighbors.
John Marshall's boyhood was passed on the paternal estate, much as country boys usually pass those days, and he helped his father on the paternal estate until his marriage to Jane Cole, a daughter of Abraham Cole, a leading resident of Ellwood City, Wayne township, whose personal history is recounted on another page in this volume. Mr. Marshall invested in the Orin Newton farm of seventy-five acres, and soon after the wedding-day of Sept. 16, 1862, the young people set about making a home. That continued to be their residence until 1869, when he bought the D. and C. Robison property of thirty acres adjoining his father's property. Mr. Marshall possessed the spirit of the age in regard to making improvements, and was very particular in that respect. He built two new houses and barns, complete in all the modern appointments, set out 100 fine apple trees, grafted fruit, and to-day they are yielding a bountiful harvest in return. He has fifty peach trees, besides pears, plums, prunes, and various kinds of berries and small fruits in abundance; the most of his time and land are thus devoted to his market-gardening. Mr. Marshall has a choice dairy that includes Holstein and Jersey cows, the milk product being shipped to Allegheny City, Pa. Mr. Marshall used to raise sheep quite extensively. He is a man of means, active, progressive and very popular among all classes. A Republican in politics, Mr. Marshall has acted as school director for twelve years, and also as overseer of the poor. The Marshalls have been Presbyterians for years. Our subject's children are: Margaret E.; David M.; and Alice and Willie who were taken from their home by the hand of death. Margaret E. Marshall was joined in marriage, Oct. 5, 1887, to A. P. Hazen, a farmer of Beaver County; their household has been brightened by the birth of a daughter, Mary J. David M., who is a hardware dealer at Wampum, this county, married, May 22, 1889, Genevieve Cunningham; four children are the fruit of this union: Lulu E.; J. N. Harold; Emma R.; and Charles V.
Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens Lawrence County Pennsylvania
Biographical Publishing Company, Buffalo, N.Y., 1897
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 7 Jun 2001