Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens
Lawrence County Pennsylvania 1897
[p. 114] the subject of this short biography, is one of New Castle's prominent young attorneys; his office is located at Room 7, Pearson Building, where he devotes the greater part of his working hours to the preparation of his cases before the court, to consultations with his numerous body of clients, and to the conducting of a general law business. He is a son of William S. Emery, and grandson of David Emery, who was born in 1800. Our subject's grandfather was one of the early settlers of the town of New Castle, and followed the trade of a blacksmith until he was chosen the first sheriff of Lawrence County, upon the county's organization in 1849. After serving his term as sheriff, he became interested in railroad building, and was engaged in railroad contracting until the war broke out, when he was appointed postmaster of New Castle, holding that position during the war. The latter part of his life was spent in easy retirement, his death occurring in 1882. His life companion was Sarah Jack, a native of Butler Co., Pa.; she lived to be eighty-two years of age. Six children made up the family, as follows: Benjamin; J. Reed; William S.; Mary A. (Kiefer); Isophena (Nessle); and Samuel.
William S. Emery, the father of Samuel P., was born in New Castle in 1836, and was reared to manhood and educated in his native town. During the period in which his father was postmaster, William S. served as assistant. In 1868, he and his brother J. Reed Emery became associated in the grocery business, and the partnership continued unbroken until 1873; he was located at the Old Stone Corner. He married Margaret C. Curry, a daughter of Samuel Curry of Butler County, and upon his death in 1890 was survived by her and his only child, Samuel P. Emery, the subject of our sketch. Mr. Emery was a strong Republican, served in the common council of the city, and was known as an indefatigable and faithful party-worker.
Our subject was born in the city of New Castle, Sept. 30, 1864, received his common school education in the grammar schools of New Castle, and was advanced at Geneva College, at Beaver Falls, Pa., graduating in the class of 1887. He studied law in the office of Dana & Long of New Castle and was admitted to the bar in June 1889. He immediately opened a law office in New Castle, and is still actively engaged in the duties of his profession. In 1890 he was elected a member of the council from the Fourth Ward, and was chosen chairman of the council by his colleagues. He remained a member of the council twenty-one months, and then resigned to accept the office of district attorney, which he held for a term of three years.
Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens Lawrence County Pennsylvania
Biographical Publishing Company, Buffalo, N.Y., 1897
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 28 Apr 2001