Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens
Lawrence County Pennsylvania 1897
[p. 121] ex-postmaster and a leading grocer of Mt. Jackson, North Beaver, township was born in the same township in which he now makes his residence March 20, 1841, and is a son of John H. and Mary (Davidson) Chambers, and grandson of William and Mary (Hazlett) Chambers. Our subject's grandparents were both born, brought up and married in County Down, Ireland; they came to America to seek a new home and better their fortunes in 1812, and settled directly after their arrival on the shores of the New World in North Beaver township. He built the first house in Mt. Jackson and gave the location that name. Mr. Chambers purchased 220 acres of unimproved timber land, and soon after took steps to build a structure that should house them temporarily, and to clear and prepare the land, so as to provide their daily food from the resulting crops. He was active and progressive and at his death he left a good farm, well-improved, cleared, and provided with excellent buildings, adequate to the needs of the farm. He reached the age of seventy-five years, and left behind him a splendid record for honorable dealings, and noble life. His wife was called to her home to enjoy the reward that comes after a life well spent, at the age of sixty-five. Their children were: Samuel; Robert; Isabella; Alexander; James; John H.; Elizabeth; Mary; and William.
John H. Chambers followed farming all his days, and accumulated a good property; he was a sturdy and industrious tiller of the soil, and a very practical man in his agricultural methods. In political belief, he clung to the principles advocated by the Democratic party. He was a member of the United Presbyterian Church since early manhood, and died in the faith of a future resurrection at the age of seventy-one. His wife Mary, who is still living, was born Oct. 20, 1820, and was a daughter of William Davidson, of County Down, Ireland, who came to America in 1837, and settled on a farm in North Beaver township. The children who composed the parental family were: Margaret; William C., our subject; Mary Jane; Isabella; James, who died in his youth; John D.; Samuel J.; Lizzie B.; Joseph E.; George; and Rebecca. Six of the foregoing family are living to-day.
William C. Chambers assisted his father on the farm until April 26, 1861, when he enlisted for the defense of his country in the Mt. Jackson Guard, later known after it had been mustered into the U. S. service as Battery B, First Pa. Light Artillery, and served three years to a day; he was slightly wounded in the Second Bull Run and Spottsylvania Court House. He is a member of Post No. 100, of New Castle, G. A. R. and is also a member of the Union Veteran Legion, so as to keep in close touch with his comrades of the late war, and in banded union to assist in commemorating in a fitting manner the noble sacrifice of those who were not so fortunate as they, but who gave up their lives and their all in the defense of the Union. The war being over, he returned home and followed farming assiduously until October, 1885, when he was appointed postmaster, which position he has since acceptably and honorably filled, besides serving one year as a constable. In his mercantile establishment he carries a full line of groceries, confectionery and tobacco, and enjoys a liberal patronage from his neighbors and fellow-citizens. Mr. Chambers lives in a comfortable residence of his own in Mt. Jackson. He is a liberal giver to all enterprises which are calculated to benefit the community or the country at large, and has never been known to turn a deaf ear to true charity. He has, by his energy and perseverance, made himself what he is, and is recognized as one of the foremost business men as well as respected and honored citizens of Mt. Jackson.
Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens Lawrence County Pennsylvania
Biographical Publishing Company, Buffalo, N.Y., 1897
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 28 Apr 2001