Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens
Lawrence County Pennsylvania 1897
[p. 562] a leading physician of East Brook, Hickory township, was born in Slippery Rock township, this county, March 16, 1865, and is a son of Charles and Eleanor A. (Weller) Boak, the former of Scott and the latter of Slippery Rock township.
Charles Boak, Sr., the grandfather of Dr. Boak, was a native of Ireland; he came to America with his parents when a lad, and settled with them in eastern Pennsylvania; when he grew up, he bade the old home and the loved ones there good-bye and came to Scott township, where he purchased a farm in the near vicinity of Harlansburg, where, in connection with farming, he found time to profitably employ himself in the winter months teaching school. He was a very intelligent, well-read man, whose opinions and ideas were well-grounded on established facts; his ability as a school-teacher was recognized, and many old settlers of that part of the county still remember with pleasure the good lessons taught them by Mr. Boak. His family was constituted of the following children: Rebecca; Aaron; Peggy; Charles; Sarah; Martha; William; Washington; Mary A.; and Eliza. They were United Presbyterians in their religious sympathies.
The father of our subject completed his education in Scott township schools, and then turned his attention to farming, which he followed all the years of his life given over to active labor in Slippery Rock township; in 1887, he moved to New Castle, where he lived in retirement until his death. He bore an excellent reputation as a successful and prosperous farmer, who ever lent himself to the promotion of the best interests of his locality and township. He was a stanch Republican, and held several offices at the disposal of his fellow-townsmen. His wife, who was a daughter of William Weller, made him the proud and happy parent of seven children, namely: Charles, who married Carrie Badger of Portersville, Butler Co., Pa., and has one son, Clyde; Mary, who married William Joiner of Louisville, Ky.; Thomas, who married Maggie Alford of Slippery Rock township, and, has one son, Howard; Robert G., the subject of this notice; Agnes, who married Phillip Sechler of Slippery Rock township, and has one child, Gula. Mrs. Boak died in 1890, aged sixty-three years, and her husband followed her to the land of rest three years later at the same age. They were members of the Presbyterian Church.
Dr. Robert G. Boak obtained an elementary education in the district schools of his immediate neighborhood, and in the State Normal School of Edinboro, Pa. After having advanced thus far, he taught school for seven years, during which time for the space of one year he read medicine under the direction of Dr. Charles Hunt of Princeton, Pa., not neglecting his duties in the least. He then entered the Baltimore Medical College of Baltimore, Md., in 1893, and after one year changed his location, becoming a medical student in the medical department of the Western University of Pittsburg, Pa., from which he graduated in 1897. Having determined beforehand on East Brook as a suitable location, he at once opened an office in the village, and entered upon the active practice of his profession. He has obtained in short time the good-will and patronage of the people of East Brook and its vicinity, who regard him as a well-read, enterprising member of the medical profession, who has at his command the latest methods in the treatment of diseases, and the requisite knowledge and ability to use them successfully. His many friends are united in wishing him the best of success.
In 1886, he was joined in marriage with Minerva McCurdy, daughter of Abraham McCurdy of Princeton, Pa., and their home has been blessed with the arrival of two children, W. Earl and Robert C. The family has identified itself with the Presbyterian Church in all its good work.
Biographical Sketches of Leading Citizens Lawrence County Pennsylvania
Biographical Publishing Company, Buffalo, N.Y., 1897
Previous Biography | Table of Contents | Next Biography
Explanation/Caution | Lawrence Co. Maps | Lawrence Co. Histories
Updated: 17 Jul 2001