USGenweb Archives/GenConnect Forums
Instructions and Tips for File Managers
We are excited to bring you a new way of gathering information for the USGenWeb
Archives! We hope that you enjoy using your new boards and that they make your job as an
FM easier. By using these boards to gather submissions, you will recieve .txt files that
are properly formatted for the archives, complete with the archives disclaimer in place.
Please follow these instructions carefully. If you have any questions, email me at email@example.com.
SIGNING UP FOR YOUR USGENWEB ARCHIVES BOARD
The following types of boards are available for USGenWeb Archives File Managers (FM's):
Bible records, Biographies, Deeds, Obituaries, Pensions, Wills.
To request a board, visit http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/signup/activate.cgi.
Fill out the information requested in the following manner:
- Country=Archives (case-sensitive)
- State = [St] (case-sensitive) (example: Ms, Tn, Sd...NOT MS, TN, SD)
- County = [County] (case-sensitive) (example: Lamar, Norfolk...not LAMAR, NORFOLK)
- Select the type of board you want (you'll need to make a separate request for each board
type). Please DO NOT request a query board for the archives. Such requests will be
- Enter your name and email address. If you use a separate email address for archives
related business, you may use that if you wish.
- When this information is entered, check your entry one last time and then click the
- You will be taken to a confirmation page. When prompted for the URL of your page, you
should enter the FULL URL for that county's ARCHIVE TOC. (example
- Click the next submit button.
Your board request is now logged. The boards have to be manually configured by me, so
don't expect your email message right away. I usually check the request logs 2-3 times a
ACTIVATING YOUR NEW BOARD
You will receive an email when your board has been set up. Follow the directions in the
email carefully to activate your board. Boards should be activated within 14 days of being
set up. After that time, empty directories are deleted and you will need to start the sign
up process again.
After you have filled out the form again, you will be taken to the configuration page.
Be sure to enter the requested information carefully and completely, as this is what will
be used in your ocnfiguration files.
After you have completed the board configuration process you will be given a hotlink to
The VERY FIRST thing you should do is enter a password. This is *VERY* important. You
will need your password to create your .txt files and delete the submissions after you
have uploaded them.
- DO NOT use your name, county, state, or other easily identifiable information in your
OK, MY BOARD IS ACTIVATED. NOW WHAT?
You'll want to point potential subscribers to your new boards so that they can enter
their submissions. These submissions will be stored in a database until you create the
text file, upload it to the archives, and delete the submissions (more on this in a
- The URL for your board will be provided when you complete the activation process. Please
make a note of it. (Note: These URL's are case sensitive)
- The pattern of the URL will be
The types of boards and the appropriate designation in the URL are
- Bible Records: Bibl (i.e.
- Biographies: Bios (i.e.
- Deeds: Deed (i.e. http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Archives/La/OrleansDeed)
- Obituaries: Obits (i.e.
- Pensions: Pens (i.e. http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Archives/Me/YorkPens)
- Wills: Will (i.e. http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Archives/Il/ColesWill)
- If you want to use logos to point to the boards, you can find new logos for the Archive
OK, I HAVE SUBMISSIONS, BUT HOW DO I GET THEM INTO THE ARCHIVES?
You may gather your board data at any time. Each time you gather the data, you will be
deleting it from the boards, so make sure you save the file on your disk until you have it
uploaded into the archives. If these procedures are followed correctly, each .txt file you
create will contain only entries submitted since your last gathering. No need to worry
about duplication! The gathering process has two steps: 1) creating the .txt file and 2)
deleting the information.
Creating the .TXT file
- Visit http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/cgi-bin/archiver.cgi
- You will be prompted for your state and county....enter them as they are in the
GenConnect board URL (StCounty)
- When you hit the "submit" button, you will be taken to the password screen.
After you have correctly entered the password, hit the "submit" button, and a
text file will be created.
- A hotlink to the file will be provided. Follow the link.
- When the page finishes downloading, use your browser's File/Save As command to save the
document to your hard drive. Use the Archives file naming protocol.
- The file is now ready to be uploaded to the archives.
- From this point on, do your normal FM duties...uploading, creating a link in the TOC's,
etc. For more help on this, visit the USGW Archive Guidelines and the TIPS pages.
Step 2: Wiping out the data
- Visit http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/AdminCenter/maint.htm
- This is a help page for maintaining your board. Look for the part titled "Deleting
Messages" on the table (first row). Follow these instructions for deleting the
- TIP: Be sure to delete the submissions as soon as you download the text files. Check the
date/time to make sure that no new entries were submitted while you were creating,
downloading etc. before deleting all of the entries.
brought to you courtesy of
GenConnect developed by
Pam Carey Durstock / Randy Winch
Nancy Trice / Carol Hepburn
Our thanks to Birchell Coslow for help in testing!
Questions concerning this page should be directed to Joe