God gave all men all earth to love,

But since our hearts are small,

Ordained for each one spot should prove

Beloved over all. Kipling, quoted by M.B. Pittis

John and Mary Dore Pittis had fourteen children, seven sons and seven daughters. Nine children survived to adulthood. Ann was the seventh born. This chapter is about all of Ann’s siblings. The history of the families of Ann’s siblings gives a glimpse of the history of the United States in the 19th and early 20th century, its wars and its progress, as shown in the occupations held by the members of these families.


John and Mary’s first born was Mary Isabella Pittis, who was born in Isle of Wight, April 23, 1796. She married Robert Jewell Edney in 1816 when she was 20 years old. Mr. Edney was from Milton, Hampshire, across the strait called the Solent Sea, from the island. They emigrated with Mary’s family on the ship Resolution with their eldest child, Amelia, their second child having died shortly before leaving. Along with her parents, they settled in Deersville. About Deersville, M. B. Pittis wrote:

Built on two hills in the southeast corner of Franklin Township, Deersville has one main street and is surrounded by beautiful hills and valleys and rich farms…. in its most flourishing days [it] had about five hundred inhabitants. It was settled largely by people from the British Isles.… Among the early settlers were the Pittis families, the Edneys, Abrahams, and Hillyers.... The Edneys kept a hotel at the corner of the main street and the center cross street....

Deersville formerly was a prominent community center. People came from considerable distances in horse and wagon to trade and to worship there. Its citizens were people of culture and a degree of wealth, with silver, china and glassware, lace curtains, haircloth-covered parlor sets, melodeons and parlor organs, and Brussels carpets — luxuries for an inland village of that time. Railroads came ten miles to the east and to the west but not to Deersville. With the coming of the automobile and employment in industrial plants, Deersville has declined as other towns and communities have done.... Today the village is a shadow of its former importance, but it still serves as a center for the surrounding agricultural district.

John Pittis “opened a general store in Deersville. The country being new and but little money in circulation, he did not succeed as a merchant. He kept a hotel until his death, called the Travelers’ Rest…” Mr. Edney was postmaster for many years and served as county auditor for four years. “His records were so well kept and written in such beautiful script as to remain an honor to his memory and an exhibit of fine early records.” Robert’s father left his considerable estate to him, but just as Robert’s son, Henry, was to go to England and lay claim to the inheritance, Henry was taken ill and died. Robert had naturalization problems and his wife was opposed to him taking a sea voyage. After Robert died, the will, which had been in his possession when he came to America, was given to an attorney in Cadiz. When the attorney died, the will was never found. The Edney’s eldest child, Amelia, born 15 June 1817, married George Hillyer. George was also born in I.W. and came to the United States when he was 16. It was his younger sister, Elizabeth, who married Robert (II) Pittis. George and Amelia settled on a farm near Feed Spring, where all their children were born.

The eldest Hillyer, Thomas H. Hillyer, was a farmer and later a watchman for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at Uhrichsville; he married Mary Jane McCauley. One of their four children settled in Washington D.C. and one of his great grandsons was killed in France in WWII. Second born was a daughter, Mary Jane, who married Jacob L. Price, a family name often appearing in the same Pennsylvania area as the early Worstells. Their descendants all stayed in Ohio.

Henry, the third in the Hillyer family, married Catherine Latto in 1862. Henry attended college and served in the Civil War. His farm, near Tappan, was where all six of their children were born. Jewell Leslie, third born, got his LLB degree, taught school, and was an attorney in Uhrichsville. He and his wife had five children. Their son, Edgar, a graduate of OSU, was a Lieutenant in WWI who got gassed.

The history of WWI goes back to the French Revolution. Following the French Revolution and the end of the Napoleonic wars in 1815, the Congress of Vienna drew the boundaries of Europe to suit the rulers instead of uniting people of the same language and culture. The more than 300 independent states in the old Holy Roman Empire were reduced to 38. Prussia, under the chief minister of King Wilhelm I, or Chancellor Bismarck, obtained ascendancy over Austria and the other German states. In winning the conflict with France in the Franco-Prussian War, the German states were unified as one country, and acquired parts of Alsace and Lorraine, former provinces of France, becoming the new German Empire, or Second Reich, under King Wilhelm, a.k.a. Deutscher Kaiser. Old antagonisms and national enmities flared after the assassination of the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, June 28, 1914, and World War I was ignited.

The Germans first used poison gas experimentally in the Second Battle of Ypres, April 22, 1915, in their drive to Calais on the French coast. This battle was the first action by Canadians in Europe. Ultimately, poison gas was used by all the armies on the European battlefronts. It accounted for nearly 30 percent of all American casualties. The British passenger liner Lusitania was sunk by a German submarine on May 7, 1915, with 1,198 drowned, of which 128 were Americans. After U.S. protests, Germany ordered its submarines not to attack neutral or passenger ships. They lifted that restriction Feb.1, 1917, while negotiating with Mexico to join them. Under these circumstances, the United States declared war April 6, 1917.

Jewell Leslie Hillyer had four daughters who were all school teachers. Two of Henry and Catherine’s grandchildren served in the military. They were brothers: one died two weeks after returning home from the WWI and his younger brother served in WWII.

George and Amelia Hillyer’s fourth child, William, was in the mercantile and farming business and served in the Civil War. Two of William’s sons were telegraphers. Frank started as a telegrapher in 1883 and retired after 52 years. William worked for the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling Railroad. One of William’s granddaughters married John Price. The eighth child of George and Amelia Hillyer was a ticket agent for the railroad station in Bridgeport. The other siblings and their families stayed in the neighborhood of Feed Spring and other near by locations.

Mary and Robert Edney’s first child was Amelia, who married George Hillyer, the family just discussed. The Edney’s second child died in infancy. The third, Isabella Jewell, married Joshua Wagers in 1846. Two of the Wagers’ grandsons were trainmen: one for the Pennsylvania railroad and the other for the Southern Pacific. Charles Ransom Wagers, who worked for the Southern Pacific, was killed in Paso Robles, California, in 1918. His daughter was born in San Luis Obispo, California; her husband, Ray Landrum, was in the U.S. Navy, in WWII. Isabella and Joshua had another granddaughter who worked for Bell Telephone Co., and their grandsons were in WWII, one in the Veterinary Corps and one in the Medical Corps, both Army.

The fourth Edney child died unmarried at age 24. The fifth child of Mary and Robert Edney was Julia Louisa who married James Madison Moore in 1849. James was a stage and mail coach driver, kept a hotel, and later had a tannery. The Moores had a daughter, Belle, who married Elijah Rogers, who was a blacksmith for the B. & O. Railroad. Rogers’ eldest son moved to Olympia, Washington; a daughter, Cora, married a machinist for the B. & O. and they had a grandson who was career military and served in the Army Air Corps in Alaska and New Guinea during WWII. A second son of Rogers’ served in the U.S. Cavalry in W.W.I. The Rogers had grandsons who moved to Walla Walla, Washington, Newport Beach, California, and a granddaughter to Illinois. Another daughter of James and Julia Moore, Eliza Jane, married James Sloan West, D.V.M., who was a blacksmith in Cadiz, Ohio, before moving his family first to Indiana and then to Washington state. The West children all went to school in Indiana before the family moved west. One son became a machinist for Boeing in Seattle; during W.W.II they had one son in the air force and a daughter was married to a radio instructor on the B-29 bombers. Another son of Dr. West’s worked in the shipyards in Everett, Washington. The Moore’s eighth and youngest child, Robert Thomas Pittis Moore, had a teaching certificate and was a blacksmith in Deersville. He and his wife had their seven children in Deersville and later the whole family moved to Carnegie, Pennsylvania. The R.T.P. Moores had a daughter who married Jesse Brock. Jesse Brock was a foreman for the Pennsylvania R.R. Steel & Car Shops. One of Brock’s sons was an electrician on the electric locomotives for the Pennsylvania R.R.; two other sons were car inspectors for the railroad. Five grandsons of R.T. P. Moore served in W.W.II.

The Edney’s sixth child of eleven was Mary Jane Pittis Edney, who married Silas Bettes Moore, no relation to the previous Moores. When she died at age 22, she had lost a pair of twins at birth and left a young son, Frank, who lived with his Aunt Adelaide Guthrie until his father remarried. Frank served in the Cavalry during the Civil War, was a collector for the People’s Gas and Light Company and Bell Telephone Company in Cleveland. He and his wife Mary Wilson had seven children. The first, Nellie, married an M.D., and when he died she married his brother, also an M.D. Frank’s second child, Marcus, served in the Navy during the Spanish-American War and was a locomotive engineer for 38 years. Their next son, George, was also in the Spanish-American War. One of George’s sons was a dentist and served in W.W.II. Frank’s youngest son was wounded in W.W.I.

Robert Pittis Edney, the seventh of the Robert Jewell Edney children, was born April 9, 1829. He married Jane Ann Clark and they moved to a farm near Ottawa, Kansas. Although it is not known when they married, it is likely it was in the 1850s and they probably moved to Kansas soon after.

In 1852, settlers began to appeal to Congress to organize Kansas as a territory. On May 30, 1854, President Franklin Pierce signed the Kansas-Nebraska Act. This act created the Territory of Kansas, which included part of Colorado and was much larger than the present state. The Kansas-Nebraska Act repealed the Missouri Compromise. The Missouri Compromise of 1820 declared that all land in the Louisiana Purchase north of 36o 30', except for Missouri, was to be free of slavery. The Kansas-Nebraska Act voided the Missouri Compromise and provided for “popular sovereignty,” allowing the settlers to decide the slavery question. Proslavery and antislavery forces hoped to gain enough settlers on their side to determine the slavery question in its favor. The territory became known as “Bleeding Kansas” because of the bitter battles between opposing forces. The Treaty of Fort Laramie in 1851 gave a large tract of land in western Kansas to the Arapaho and Cheyenne Indians. When the gold- seekers headed to Colorado after the discovery of gold in 1858, the protection promised the Indians was not forthcoming and the Indians, including the Kiowa and Comanche, began a series of raids and uprisings that lasted until 1878.

The eighth child of Mary and Robert Edney was Caroline, who died as an infant. Their ninth child was Elizabeth Clark, who married John Meek Howard in 1851. Mr. Howard served in an Ohio Regiment during the Civil War. It was to this Elizabeth that her Grandmother Mary Dore Pittis wrote the letter quoted at the beginning of the previous chapter. Their residence is given as Barnesville, where John was from, but the residence for most of their children was Cadiz. They had five children, 10 surviving grandchildren, and 15 great-grandchildren at the time of the printing of the Pittis Genealogy. Two of the grandsons were in W.W.I.

The tenth Edney child, Sarah Adelaid Edney, helped her parents in their hotel, Traveler’s Rest, until her parents both died. She was 33 when she married Nathaniel Caldwell Guthrie in 1866, and she was his third wife. Nathaniel was in the Ohio Volunteers during the Civil War in a unit called the “Bloody Fifty-first.” During the 3 years 9 months he served, he was in five historic battles. He was shot three times: once by a bullet that lodged in his belt after passing through his bedroll, and twice more before being hospitalized. He returned to active duty until the close of the war. Nathaniel was a farmer near Deersville, and their three children were born there. Their son, Clarence farmed near Massillon; Clarence’s daughter Avi, born 1912, became a nurse and married a man employed by Curtis Wright Airplane Co. in Glendale, California.

The last of the Edney children, number 11, was Henrietta Jewell Edney, who married Elias Foust in 1855. He was a Civil War veteran and a saddler. They had five children. The eldest, Robert Foust, was a glass-blower. Pottery and glass were major industries in Ohio.

The first child of John and Mary Dore Pittis was Mary Isabella Pittis who married Robert Jewell Edney, the family just discussed. John and Mary’s second child, born in 1798, was John Pittis, D.V.M. The following is from The Pittis Genealogy:

A veterinarian, Dr. Pittis drove about the country treating sick animals.... In his later years his eyesight grew dim, a fact which he was reluctant to admit. The author remembers him and recalls that her father often laughed and told of riding with him once when he was about to strike a bog stone with his buggy wheel. The nephew hastened to call his attention to the stone but Uncle John said, “I see it, I see it — which side of the road is it on?” Like his father, he was quick-tempered, but was a very useful and important man of the community. Dr. Pittis returned to England for a visit before his marriage. He was legatee under his father’s will to $50, and under his brother Edward’s will to a fifth of certain land in Iowa.

Dr. Pittis married first, Mrs. Mary Ann Clark in 1839. Mrs. Clark had a daughter, Jane Ann, who later married Robert Pittis Edney, as previously mentioned. After the death of Mary Ann, Dr. Pittis married another widow, Mrs. Asenath Cotterill, in 1847.

Dr. Pittis named James Worstell, Henry Worstell, and Thomas Worstell in his will of 1875, but by a later codicil dated 1883, he stated: “Owing to circumstances unforeseen at the time of executing my will and testament, I deem it proper and consistent to revoke all those two items nos. 2 and 4 relating to James, Henry and Thomas Worstell, leaving my will and same as if they were not named therein...” Dr. Pittis had five stepchildren.

The third child of John and Mary Dore Pittis was Thomas Pittis, who married Ellinor Hearn in 1848. She and her parents, George and Mary Arnold Hearn, sailed to the U.S. aboard the Nepos on the same voyage as John Pittis who was returning from his visit to I.W. John’s sister Sarah Abraham and family were also aboard. Thomas lived with his parents for a time at Brownsville. Later he and his brother Robert went to Pittsburgh where they had a business as engravers and stencil-cutters. During that time, Thomas held a commission as 2nd. Lt. of the Carroll Blues of Pittsburgh under Pres. Andrew Jackson. Robert got married and they and Thomas went to New York to start an engraving business. Robert and his wife returned home after a year, and another brother, Henry, joined Thomas in the prospering business in New York. It was several years later before Thomas married Ellinor Hearn from New York. Ellinor “was artistic and made drawings of Old English letters, winged dragons, border frets and many designs which her husband used in his engraving and stencil work. She and her sisters made beautiful samplers, wax flowers, fire screens, ottoman covers with squirrels, chipmunks and other objects in high relief, and fine laces and dresses, some of which were on exhibit in the Museum of Newark, NJ. She visited the Pittis families of Deersville in the summer of 1857. Supposing that folks so far inland would be living in a primitive manner, she took clothing that she thought suitable, but after arrival, finding herself embarrassed, sent hurriedly for her best clothing.” Thomas Pittis “was legatee under his father’s will to $50 and under his brother Edward’s will to a fifth of certain land at Fort Des Moines, Iowa. Thomas apparently acquired the Worstell farm which had been owned by John, his father, as Thomas’ widow [Ellinor] and son quit-claim deeded the 162 acres as a gift to the three Worstell brothers, James, Henry and Thomas.” Margaret Pittis made no reference to a will left by Thomas. Thomas and Ellinor Hearn Pittis had two sons; the second one died at age 16.

The first son of Thomas and Ellinor Pittis was Thomas Hearn Pittis, who married Susan Collins, the daughter of a Methodist preacher. Their residence was in Plainfield and all of their children were born there. Susan and Thomas Hearn Pittis had 10 children. The first four all became doctors. Although the three younger of the four were married, only the youngest had children. Albert, the second born, graduated from Columbia University Medical school and became a pharmacist and dentist. His accomplishments were extensive. Margaret Birney Pittis wrote in her book:

In 1904 [Albert] performed a notable skin-grafting operation on Wilson S. Frederick, an expressman who was severely scalded and burned in a railroad wreck, applying successively more than 4200 strips of skin which were contributed by the sufferer’s brother Masons and expressmen. This was the only case on record at that time in which the patient survived when more than half denuded of skin, and wide publicity was given to Dr. Pittis and the case in medical journals and newspapers of New York, Philadelphia and other eastern cities.

Harold Pittis, M.D., the fourth son of Thomas Pittis, graduated from McGill University, Montreal, Canada, and his son also received his medical degree from McGill.

Bertram, the fifth son, went to Columbia University and got his LL.B. He engaged in construction work at Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1903, at the close of the Boer War. Bertram’s three sons served in W.W.II. The sixth son of Thomas Hearn Pittis enrolled at McGill, but after two years, joined the army and was stationed in Alaska with the Signal Corps, 1900-1902, and was married in 1910; his son-in-law was in W.W.II. Frederick and Claude, seventh and eighth sons, died in infancy. The next, Cecil, became a civil engineer. Grace Constance Iseult Pittis, number 10 and their only daughter, was born in 1891. She received her BA from Wm. Smith College, Geneva, New York in 1913, served in France in W.W.I with the YMCA and Methodist Committee of Reconstruction of Chateau-Thierry, and in the American Army of Occupation at Coblenz, Germany, where she married Lt. Thomas Jefferson Davis in 1921.

[As a convenience, for the large families the numbering system is continued with the use of lower case Roman numerals to designate the generation of grandchildren.]

The fourth son of the fourteen children of John and Mary Dore Pittis was Robert Pittis, J.P. who married Sarah Hout in 1832. The Johann Georg Haudt (German spelling) family came to Pennsylvania from Germany in 1752. Robert Pittis was 15 when his family emigrated, landed in Baltimore and traveled to Brownsville, Ohio. He and his brother Thomas, as noted above, went to Pittsburgh and set up a business as engravers and stencil-cutters. After going to New York with Thomas, Robert and Sarah decided to return to Deersville (1832) where they opened a drygoods and grocery store. For a time he had the only store there. They prospered and built the second brick home in Deersville, which was large and well appointed. The frame building housing the store adjoined the house. In 1859 they purchased a building, part hotel, part drygoods and grocery, as well as a residence, in New Philadelphia. The climate didn’t agree with them and after two years they returned to Deersville. Besides being a merchant, Robert “acquired considerable land, and gave each of his five surviving children a farm of 160 acres, other property and money.” The wills of Robert and Sarah indicate their considerable wealth. Among the properties listed is 10 acres in Story County, Iowa. He was legatee under Edward’s will to a fifth of the Ft. Des Moines property, which was sold before distributing the portions. Robert was justice of the peace and known as “Squire Pittis” and his cousin Robert, as noted earlier in our story, was known as “Postmaster Pittis.” When Robert’s family consisted of four boys, all four had scarlet fever. “Three (2,3,4) died within six weeks and Thomas [Hout Pittis (1)], the eldest, was not expected to live but did survive; [he was] then their only child. A year later twins (5,6) were born.” They had eight children, all born at Deersville.

Thomas H. Pittis (1) survived the scarlet fever epidemic and married Eliza Ann Latto in 1855. Eliza’s sister, Catherine Latto, married Henry Hillyer in 1862 (the first of this chapter). Both girls were born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and with their families moved to Stillwater, Ohio, in 1852. Thomas inherited property from both parents. During the Civil War years of 1863-64, Thomas H. Pittis volunteered with Rev. Patterson, often mentioned in the P.G., to join the U.S. Christian Commission, a forerunner of today’s American Red Cross, and served in the Lincoln Hospital, East Branch of the Potomac River, in the Civil War. “At Eliza’s funeral service Dr. Patterson eulogized: ‘When the call came for her husband to serve his country this patriotic woman said, “Go with your pastor, I will take care of the children and the stock.”’” In 1870, Thomas was ordained elder and served until 1892, when he retired from the farm. The present Feed Spring church has a stained glass window to the memory of Thomas and Eliza. After retirement Thomas and Eliza “went to Cleveland, where he engaged in missionary work at the Men’s Lodginghouse Mission, Lakeside Hospital, Workhouse and City Jail. Many convicts kept in touch with him after they were sent to the Penitentiary. After Eliza’s death he was missionary for a time among the Navajo Indians in New Mexico, and then among Indians in the Indian Territory, now Oklahoma, where he died of sunstroke. Seven children, born on the farm, baptized at Feed Spring Church by Rev. Samuel Patterson, D.D.”

The first of the Thomas H. Pittis children was Ellinor Irene (i) who married Garrett Cramblett in 1875. He was a carriage and wagon maker in Tappan, later went to Cleveland to work as an electrician for the Bush Electric Co. and still later for General Electric Co. at Lynn, Massachusetts The eldest of three sons and his family settled in Ohio, the second in Los Angeles; the third died in infancy.

The second child of T.H.P. was a son, William Alexander Pittis (ii) who married Sarah Harvey Chubbic in 1880. He was obviously a man of many talents and interesting enough to merit another quote from The Pittis Genealogy.

He attended Washington & Jefferson Academy, Canonsburg; was carriage and wagon maker at Tappan, partner of Garrett Cramblett; postmaster at Beechmont, Pa.; railroad agent at Carnegie, Pa., where as an adept cornetist he organized and directed his own band; engineer Carnegie Steel Co., pioneer in the motion-picture industry, established the quick film-exchange among theaters through centrally-located distributing houses, opened the first motion-picture house in Conneaut and twelve movie theaters in eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania; vice-pres. the National Motion Picture Exhibitors League. His associations in the movie industry brought him in close contact with many of the film stars, producers, and other famous personalities in the profession.

In addition, William A. Pittis (ii) served nearly 15 years as City Treasurer of Conneaut and two more as clerk of the City Board of Health. He and his wife had four children. Thomas Hout Pittis’ third child was Mary Elizabeth Pittis (iii) who graduated from commercial college, taught in the Hopedale public school and at Wooster Ohio University. The fourth child was Edwin Howard Pittis (iv) who married Minnie Belle Bethel in 1889. Edwin was an electrician for the telephone company in St. Louis, Missouri. They had a son, Orville, who was in a Missouri regiment in Laredo, Texas, during the Mexican campaign. While there, Orville invented and constructed a dust-proof gunrack later adopted by the U.S. Government He served stateside during W.W.I. [Undoubtedly the civil war in Mexico and the hunt for Pancho Villa in 1916 is what is referred to here.]

Thomas Hout Pittis’s fifth son was Robert Reynard Pittis (v) who married Emma Mary Courtright in 1894. He remained on the farm and bred Silverlaced Wyandotte chickens and later was a breeder of pedigreed horses. The farm was known as The Beaver Valley Stock Farm. Their five children were born on the farm. Their first, daughter Mildred, taught school in Uhrichsville and in 1918 married Wayne Taylor Host. Mr. Host served in W.W.I in France, became a partner in the Ford Automobile Agency in New Philadelphia. He was first deputy sheriff, then sheriff of Tuscarawas County until his death, which was caused by an automobile accident. Mildred was appointed acting sheriff, the first woman sheriff in the state.

The sixth child of Thomas Hout Pittis was Charles Duncan (vi). He was a piano tuner and repairer in St. Joseph, MO. He married Mary Lenora Birney in 1891 in Grand Island, Nebraska. Their two daughters became teachers, one in Cascade, Montana where she met her husband-to-be, Walter Hughes. The last of Thomas Hout’s family was Jane Eliza Pittis (vii) who married John Edward Murphy in 1905 and settled in New Jersey.

Returning to the family of Robert Pittis, J.P. (Squire Pittis), we remember that Thomas Hout Pittis whom we’ve just discussed was the only survivor of the four boys who had scarlet fever. The family’s fifth birth was twins. Julia (5) was engaged to be married to Nelson Birney when he died in the Civil War. She never married but led a fruitful life and was devoted to and cared for her mother in her later years. After the death of her twin, Albert (6), “she grieved, pined, wasted away and died in less than a year with no apparent disease. Julia was just days short of 46. After her death her mother declined rapidly and died in less than two months, in her 82nd year.”

Albert (6), Julia’s twin, married Jane Katherine Birney in 1863. Albert owned a farm of 257 acres, part inherited from his father and part he purchased. The farm was six-and-a-half miles southwest of Tappan near the covered bridge spanning the Little Stillwater. He was very active in church and community affairs. When he died in 1886 at age 45, his six children ranged in age from 3 to 20. Jane retired from the farm to live in Cleveland in 1903. Only the eldest and youngest of Albert and Jane’s six children married.

Hugh Arthur Pittis (known as Arthur) (i), Albert’s eldest son, married Alice Sproul and reared four children. The daughter, Hannah Jane Pittis, never married and left a sizable estate, which was settled by Doris (Mrs. Robert) Cox, who was related to James William Worstell, son of Henry P. Worstell. (James was married to Ella Easlick, who was the sister of Doris Cox’ grandmother.) Doris and her husband entertained Cliff Cloonan and his wife, Ann Jean, when they were in New Philadelphia for a reunion. Doris told about Arthur having committed suicide upon hearing he had lost his money in the stock market. (It was apparently his sister Margaret Birney Pittis, author, who called him with the market news that later turned out to be false.) He farmed his family’s farm and that of his wife’s until he retired.

Albert’s next child was Sarah Belle (ii). Sarah graduated from business college and was a stenographer. She traveled to Goldfield, Nevada, during the gold rush. She also spent a summer in Colorado, a winter in Florida, went to California with her mother and brother, and wintered in Atlantic City, New Jersey, with her mother and sister, Margaret (iv). She had many of her writings published in women’s club magazines. She compiled the data of the male lines of Pittis in Harrison County for the Pittis Genealogy and Margaret Birney Pittis, the author, dedicated the book to her memory. Sarah died at age 50. Third of Albert’s children was Wesley Elmer Pittis (iii) who graduated from Chicago School of Embalming in 1898. In 1894 he was a licensed embalmer in Iowa and a leading funeral director in Des Moines, and manager of the wholesale undertaking supply department of Harbach & Co. He perfected a highly successful embalming fluid, and perfected the Formaldehyde Gas Generator-Disinfector in 1898 that was adopted by the Iowa State Board of Health and the U.S. Government for hospital use in Manila. His sister Margaret (iv) was his office manager who said of him, “Wesley was of a cheerful lively nature, with a supply of funny stories for all occasions.” He was 45 when he died.

Margaret Birney Pittis (iv), already mentioned with her sister, Sarah (ii), and brother, Wesley (iii), and as author of Pittis Genealogy, was born in 1874. She received her B.A. from the University of Valparaiso, Indiana, and was a graduate student at Western Reserve and Harvard. Margaret taught in the public schools of Tuscarawas and Clark counties, Ohio, and the evening high schools of Cleveland and Cleveland High School. She was with a trust company in Cleveland for six years and with her brother’s business in Iowa for seven years. Between those two careers, Margaret traveled with her younger sister Olive (v) to upper New England and again with her in 1911, to the west coast from southern California to Canada, through the national parks and the Canadian Rockies. Again in 1914, she and Olive spent the summer in Montana, Washington, and Glacier Park. Margaret was active in equal suffrage, church and missionary work, Camp Fire Girls, DAR, Composers’ and Authors’ Association of America, and educational societies. Her foreign travels included three summers in Europe, returning from one on the S.S. Lusitania, travel to Greece under the auspices of the Bureau of University Travel, and in the summer of 1937 she traveled independently to London for the week of the coronation of George VI and Queen Elizabeth, continuing her travels in the British Isles, Holland, Belgium, Germany, and France, visiting friends and relatives; both crossings were on the Queen Mary. While in Germany she attended the German Exhibition of Synthetic Materials at Dusseldorf, and in Paris the International Exposition. In 1939 she toured the U.S. visiting friends and relatives, national parks, and world fairs at San Francisco and New York. Margaret’s younger sister, Mary Olive (v), also got her B.S. at the University of Valparaiso and attended Western Reserve, Harvard and Cornell universities. She taught school in Oakland, Illinois, and for 12 years in Cleveland High School. Mary was active in YWCA, and church and professional organizations. She made other extensive tours in the United States and Canada. When she died at age 34, her high school principal paid high tribute to her.

The youngest offspring of Albert and Jane Pittis, Horace Eugene Pittis (vi), was born in 1882 and married Emma Scott Kurtz. Horace attended Valparaiso and Ohio University at Athens, Ohio. He trained as an electrical engineer, worked in the transformer department of Westinghouse Electric Co., Pittsburgh, and as a research engineer for Peerless Motor Car Co., in Cleveland. The first of their two sons, Robert Eugene Pittis, graduated from Harvard University and was a highly decorated bomber navigator in the U.S. Army Air Force stationed in England in W.W.II.

Robert “Squire” Pittis and Sarah Hout had eight children. Julia and Albert, the twins, were just discussed. The seventh child of Squire Pittis was Sarah Jane (7) who married Richard Watson Jobe, her second cousin on her mother’s side, in 1867. Sarah and Richard began their married life on the farm she inherited from her father that was on the Tappan road three miles north of Deersville. Their two daughters were born on the farm. The eldest, Cora, married Worthington H. Birney — no relation to Jane Katherine Birney who married Albert as mentioned in the Pittis Genealogy.

The Jobe’s second daughter, Mary Lenora Jobe, became the second wife of Carl Ethan Akeley in 1924. Mr. Akeley was a naturalist, taxidermist, sculptor, inventor, explorer, and African big game hunter. He made five trips to Africa, invented a camera with telescopic lens, and authored In Brightest Africa in 1923. His taxidermy mounts are in the Field Museum, Chicago, and are still an important part of the museum’s holdings. The American Museum of Natural History, New York City, has his work in the Akeley Memorial African Hall. Mary received a Master’s Degree from Columbia University in 1909 and was a teacher of biology and American History. She was founder and owner of an outdoor camp for girls, and explored the Northern Canadian Rockies (a Canadian peak was named Mt. Jobe in recognition of her explorations). She was with the Akeley expedition in Africa and in charge of the expedition after his death in Africa, Nov. 1926. In 1935-36 she made another expedition to Africa. She authored or co-authored with her husband five books on Africa and one on her husband. They had no children.

Mary Ann (8) was the last of the eight children of Thomas Hout Pittis. Mary sold the farm she inherited from her father and lived in Uhrichsville all her life. She was married three times but never had any children.

Following Robert “Squire” Pittis, fifth child of John and Mary Dore Pittis, was Jane Warrener Pittis who married John C. Auld, J.P. Their only child died young. John’s will was witnessed in 1834 by Hiram Worstell.

The sixth child of John and Mary Pittis was William, who died an infant. The seventh child was Ann Pittis, born January 4, 1808. She is the Worstell ancestor and will be discussed in the next chapter.

The eighth born was Emma. The family of John and Mary was living in Brownsville and ran a tavern. A deer hunter accidentally fired a shot that passed through the door between the kitchen and the dining room of their home and killed Emma. It is written that Mary never got over her death.

The ninth child, Amelia Rebekah, died an infant in 1811. She and William, the baby who died in 1807 were both buried in Isle of Wight. Tenth child of John and Mary was Edward Pittis. He was born February 4, 1813. He was 46 when he married Naomi Higley, 33. They cared for his mother until she died a year later. Edward died four months later. Edward willed his wife some personal property and land in Ft. Des Moines, Iowa. The remaining land in Ft. Des Moines was sold and divided equally among his siblings: John, the veterinarian - Thomas, the New York City engraver - Squire Robert -Julia Reynard, - and Ann Worstell, “except that Ann is to have $50 less than either of the other legatees.” Henry, temporary business partner of Thomas, was named executor and received most of Edward’s remaining property in Deersville. Although Edward died February 21, 1861, the Des Moines property was not sold until 1869; the grantees recorded in the land book are “Pittis and Reynard.”

Henry Pittis, eleventh of John and Mary, was five when his parents came to the U.S. in 1819. He married Nancy Yeaman Simpson in 1852. After four children, Nancy died at age 39, and Henry then married Rachel Birney who was second cousin of Jane Katherine Birney Pittis, the wife of Albert Pittis and mother of author Margaret Birney Pittis. Henry and Rachel had two children. While in the engraving business with Thomas in Pittsburgh, Henry contracted smallpox and was nursed back to health by his brother. They returned to the farm at Deersville. “He is reported to have been very jolly, a cordial host, and presided at the table with unusual grace. His cordiality was continued by Rachel (second wife) and her two children, whose hospitality and laden table were proverbial and were enjoyed by a large circle of relatives and friends.”

Henry’s first two children died young and the third never married. Emma, his fourth child, married Andrew Martin Davis, M.D., born in Haysville, Ohio. By 1888, he was a physician at Colony, Kansas, and later Chanute, Kansas. The Davis’ daughter, Nellie (i), married Samuel Harvey, who was a Seaman 1st Class aboard the S.S. Brooklyn when, in 1905, it brought from Paris the remains of John Paul Jones, First Admiral of the American Navy, to be reinterred at the Annapolis Naval Academy. The second daughter’s husband was Attny. Gen. of Kansas, and their son Harry, chemist, died at 21 in the employ of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe R.R. Among the properties in the will of Henry Pittis were lands (three-quarters of a section) in Story Co., Iowa. (Ames, north of Des Moines, is in Story Co.)

The twelfth child of John and Mary Dore Pittis was Julia. Born in I.W., she married John Reynard, who was born in Yorkshire, England. Julia was two when the Pittis family came to the U.S. in 1819; John Reynard was 10 when his parents, Marmaduke and Mary Reynard, arrived in 1817. The Reynards settled in Jefferson County, Ohio. Julia and John were married in 1841 and lived on the James Howell farm near Brownsville, then owned by Julia’s brother, Robert. Their first three children were born there. Then they bought 320 acres of virgin forest to clear and farm. After seven years they moved to Jefferson County, then back to Franklin Township, Harrison County, where they lived until John died. Julia was a devoted Sunday school teacher in both the Feed Spring Church and Deersville Presbyterian Church. She was legatee under her father’s will to $50, $1,000 from her brother Dr. John, and to that one fifth of certain land in Des Moines, Iowa, from Edward. She lived in Deersville after her husband died in 1864. They had been married 23 years and had 10 children. One (2) died at three months, another (5) at five years, and a third (10) at two and a half.

The Reynard’s eldest son was William (1) who married Margaret Jane Walker December 26, 1866. Margaret was born in Washington Co., Pennsylvania. Her father, Robert Walker, came from County Derry, Ireland, at age 17 and at age 25 married Jane McCullough. William volunteered in 1864 and served 150 days to the close of the Civil War. William owned a farm between Brownsville and Tippecanoe. William and Margaret had four children born on the farm; all resided in Ohio.

The third child of Julia Pittis and John Reynard was Mary Dore Reynard (3), born August 7, 1845 and delivered by Hiram Worstell. Mary Reynard married George W. Moore in 1869. Their home was Lorain, Ohio. The one daughter, Minnie Idella, was accidentally shot by the discharge of a revolver in a bureau drawer, and died just before her 25th birthday; she had been a teacher. Julia’s fourth was Jane Ann (4), who married Benjamin Franklin Blackwell Dec. 27, 1866. Mr. Blackwell died in 1873, age 27, and was buried in Feed Spring. He had been a shoemaker in Stillwater. The Blackwells had three children. The first was daughter Anna Melissa who married Samuel Fletcher Patterson. Six Patterson children were born on their farm near Uhrichsville. Six of their seven male grandchildren were in W.W.II, the seventh too young to serve. One grand-son-in-law was also in W.W.II. The second Blackwell daughter married George Tedrow and their son John Reynard Blackwell died at age 2.

Julia Pittis Reynard’s sixth child was Alice Elizabeth (6), who married Marion Hefling in 1874. Hefling died in 1883. Alice had been a teacher before marriage. They had a farm first in Ohio, and then bought a second farm in Ottawa, KS, c. 1876. After Marion Hefling died, Alice continued farming, and taught and sent their daughter to Ottawa University.

Julia’s seventh was John Winfield Reynard (7), who married Amanda Everhardt, teacher, in 1879, Kansas City, Missouri. John Reynard was the “legatee under will of his uncle, John Pittis, D.V.M., to library, instruments and other outfit appertaining to the practice of pharmacy, $200 and share in residue of the estate.” Of their four children, all born in Ottawa, Kansas, one resided in Kansas, and the others settled in Florida, Texas, and Colorado.

Number eight of Julia Pittis Reynard was Hannah (8), who married Worthington R. McFadden from Zanesville, Ohio, in 1840. Worthington was a taxidermist in Denver for 25 years. They had two children. The first, Charles (i) was born in Zanesville. He married Leilah Bryant and became a taxidermist and furrier. Both were active in the Boulevard Congregational Church. One of their two sons, Charles Weldon, graduated magna cum laude from Denver University. He was in the photographic department of Walt Disney Studios and Hollywood Technicolor Movie Corp., Los Angeles. The second child of Hannah and Worthington was Henrietta (ii), also born in Denver. She and her first husband, Vessie Hattan, had one daughter. After Hattan died, Henrietta married Dawn Taylor, a building contractor, and they made their home in Modesto, California.

The ninth of Julia’s 10 children was Nancy Louisa Reynard (9). Nancy married first Marion Garner Titus in 1876, a farmer south of Deersville. They had one daughter, Desdemona Titus (i) who married George Mallarnee. Their farm was south of Deersville. After Marion Titus died, Nancy married John Martin Smylie in 1884. John was a farmer and rural mail carrier; and they had two children. The following quote is from The Pittis Genealogy by Margaret Birney Pittis:

The Pittis family, once so numerous and prominent in its affairs, had not had a representative as resident of the village for several years prior to February, 1943, when Desdemona Titus Mallarnee, granddaughter of Julia Pittis Reynard, moved into a house built in 1934 the only new house built there in the past fifty years. “Dessie” purchased and moved into the Birney property in October 1944, to the delight of the author. When the author goes back to Deersville and strolls through the two cemeteries she is greeted by tombstones bearing names of many of her former relatives, neighbors and friends. The Tappan conservancy reservoir has destroyed her birthplace and girlhood home and the other homes and farms of the once beautiful and fertile valley of Little Stillwater. Thus, the years have done their work in bringing great changes, but Deersville, “the village among the wooded hills,” lives on in the hearts of those who dwelt there or came under its influence. As Kipling said,

God gave all men all earth to love,

But since our hearts are small,

Ordained for each one spot should prove

Beloved over all.

On a day in 1977, Frank McGuire, whose letters and memories are frequently cited in this narrative, wrote, “It seems to me about half the families in the western half of Harrison County are related in one way or the other with the Pittis clan.”

Julia Reynard, of the family just related, was the twelfth child of the 14 children born to John and Mary Dore Pittis. John and Mary’s next child was Elizabeth who died young. Their last and fourteenth was William Dore Pittis, born Dec. 1, 1819, in the United States. “They called him their American boy. He was a fine young man of nineteen years when he was struck in the abdomen by a rail in a rail-pitching contest and died soon after. He was engaged to Mary Jane Minteer of Feed Spring.” PG

The seventh child of John and Mary was Ann Pittis, who married Hiram Worstell, M.D. They became the ancestors of Dr. Gaylord Worstell and others. Her story follows.



Franklin Township Spotting Map