Erect the family alter morning and evening then look to God for his promised blessing,

Mary Pittis

John Pittis of Wymering was the father of Thomas Pittis. Thomas Pittis married Mary Clarke Pittis, and they had fourteen hale and hardy children. Three of them, Sarah, 11th born, Robert, fourth born, and John Pittis, first born and Worstell ancestor, came to the United States. The Pittis book has this to say about John and Mary Dore Pittis.

He was the eldest son of Thomas and Mary Clarke Pittis, of Newport, Isle of Wight, and was b. June 3, 1774, bapt. July 8, 1774, d. June 3, 1855, aged 81 years; m. July 1, 1795, aged 21, at Carisbrooke, Mary Dore, b. June 3, 1777, of Newport, age 18, a minor, with the consent of her guardian, Thomas Buckell. John paid £40 for her release as an apprenticed seamstress that they might be married before the expiration of her contract. She d. Oct. 18, 1860, aged 83 years, 4 mo., 15 days. Both bur. Deersville, Ohio, where a tall, tapering, square white marble shaft marks their graves and the graves of Jane and Edward, two of their children with whom they lived in their last years.

John was a hop merchant and brewer at Newport. This fact is confirmed by an entry in the Bible of Robert J. Edney, which states that he “married Mary Pittis, daughter of John Pittis, brewer, of Newport.” A law was passed which required him to pay a high tax as brewer. He followed the popular trend of the time, disposed of his business, chartered the ship Resolution and set sail for America. With him came his wife, their eleven children, Robert Jewell Edney, husband of their eldest daughter, and one Edney child. He also brought fourteen orphan boys or young men who were to work for him for their passage. Some of them deserted upon arrival at Baltimore and most of them deserted before fulfilling their contract. ...It was recorded ... in the Bible of R. J. Edney that the Resolution left the Port of Cowes, Isle of Wight, May 9, 1819, and landed at Baltimore, Maryland, July 6, 1819, after being two months at sea.

At the end of the 18th century, Great Britain was facing the threat of rebellion in Ireland, had broken relations with the Dutch by refusing to restore Cape of Good Hope to them, and her people had lost their enthusiasm for the French principles of the Revolution. Great Britain was left without an ally in Europe. Still the government had the support of her people in its vigorous prosecution of the war against “Bonaparte, the rapacious conqueror.” Although defeated at sea, Napoleon attempted to bring Great Britain to terms by ruining her trade. Both governments passed laws greatly restricting trade. Households in Europe, now deprived of sugar and coffee and other little luxuries, no longer supported Napoleon. The English, on the other hand, had lost considerable shipping business to the Americans. The British Orders in Council of 1807 declared all ships trading with France liable to seizure, thus bringing about the conflict in the War of 1812. Because of the wars and the depression that followed, the government attempted to regulate imports of food grain (called corn in Great Britain) by passing successive Corn Laws and by deliberately increasing the price of food in the interests of the agricultural classes. As unrest grew, the government passed more and more restrictive measures, such as suspending Habeas Corpus, limits on the press (one William Cobbett, “deprived of pen, ink and paper,” sailed for America) and speech, and culminating in the Six Acts in November 1819, which included travel restrictions, duty on all newspapers, restricting public meetings, restricting training in the use of arms, and granting power to search and seize arms. It was under these conditions that John and his family emigrated from England.

The Pittis Genealogy credits The Hampshire Telegraph of Monday, May 17, 1819 for the following item.

On Sunday morning last that fine brig, the Resolution, of 500 tons, Captain S. R. Clarke, Master, sailed from Cowes for Baltimore, chartered by Mr. John Pittis, of Newport, for himself and family and fitted up with every accommodation for the voyage. She has on board about fifty passengers besides Mr. Pittis and family.

The hull of the ship was filled with salt for ballast, which with other cargo was sold after arrival. Mr. and Mrs. Pittis brought with them their best furniture, 19 horses, 2 cows and a bull, 12 chickens, and the equivalent of $100,000 in gold. Naomi, Edward’s wife, said Mary told her several times that they brought $100,000 in gold and that Mary had the care of it on the voyage. During their voyage of nearly two months they encountered a storm, which lasted for three days. He thought it would be necessary to throw the horses and cattle overboard to save themselves, but she objected saying that if it came to the worst they would all share their fate together. She prayed fervently for their safety and they reached their destination.

Continuing with the quotation:

Mary Dore was of Newport at the time of her marriage. All that is known of her immediate family is that she had more than one brother and that her father met his death by his head striking a stone when he was thrown from a horse and was dead when found by the roadside.

By 1839, John and Mary were living on their farm, known as the McBeth farm, near Brownsville. Mr. Pittis had acquired more than one farm. One farm of 160 acres, known as the Sherman Cramblett farm between Brownsville and Feed Spring, was sold for $1500. Another of 214 acres between Tappan and Deersville was known as the Jobe farm, and the 160 acres known as the Worstell farm was between Feed Spring and Tappan. Other farms were listed in his will as


The town of Tappan was four miles north of Deersville and two miles east of Feed Spring. These communities, along with Brownsville, are all located in Franklin Township, in northwestern Harrison County, Harrison lying just west of Jefferson County where Steubenville is located. Tappan was platted, or founded by John Marshall, although he never lived there. He called it Franklin, same as the township. When the post office was established, it was necessary

to change the name, as Ohio already had a Franklin. It was named Tappan for Benjamin Tappan, who was a federal circuit judge living there, and who later became a Steubenville lawyer and U.S. senator. In 1840, only four families were living there, but it grew to a high of 171 in 1860 and besides the post office, included about 50 homes, a hotel, schoolhouse, two churches, two stores, a blacksmith shop, carriage and wagon shop, tannery, saddle and harness shop, flour-and-feed mill, broom factory, cider press, a dentist and jeweler, photographer, two physicians and a preacher.

As successful as he seems to be from the material recorded in The Pittis Genealogy, John was not as successful financially as he had been in England, losing in most of his undertakings. “In manner he was quick-tempered and became somewhat gruff, a bit profane and none too reverential, but was ever respectful to his gentle and pious wife. She asked the blessing at the table and conducted family prayers, to which he was a silent listener.” It might be noted here that as a whole, the family members are often spoken of as having been active in their churches and communities.

Mary was said by her pastor, Dr. Patterson, (and other family members) who knew her, to have been of a sweet and amiable disposition and a noble woman. She was a staunch adherent to the Church of England. There being no church of that denomination in the Brownsville and Feed Spring community, she gathered into her home those of that faith and conducted services of Scripture reading, singing and prayer. The early settlers were chiefly Presbyterian. Suspicion arose regarding the meetings held in the Pittis home and they were sometimes disturbed by stones being thrown against the house. Finally, after a meeting during which windows were broken, it was decided to discontinue Church of England gatherings and join the Presbyterians. In the discussion one of the men said, “Well, I don’t see much difference anyway, except that the Episcopalians read their prayers and the Presbyterians pray at random.” Mary united with the Presbyterian church of Deersville June 26, 1840, (at the same time as her son Robert and wife) and was a devout and loyal member; John remained a member of the Church of England.


Sarah Pittis and James Abraham

Of the three children of Thomas and Mary Clarke Pittis who went to the United States, Sarah, the 11th child, was the second to go, following John and Mary the Worstell ancestors. Sarah was born on May 4, 1787 in Newport I.W., where her other siblings were born. She married James (I) Abraham in 1810. He was a miller in Blackwater, Arreton Parish, I.W. They and their five children emigrated on the brig Nepos, a sailing vessel built and owned in Boston. Her brother John was aboard, returning home after going to the Isle of Wight to check on his wife’s legacy. The Nepos was chartered by James Abraham and George Hearn, who was also traveling with his family of seven children. The following quote is from the Hampshire Telegraph of Monday, June, 1821.

Cowes, June 2nd. The ship Nepos, Captain Jesse Collins, Master, sailed from this place for Philadelphia on Saturday last (May 26th) and took out several emigrants from the Island, among whom were Mr. John Pittis on his return; George Hearn, Esq., of Kern, a wealthy farmer, and family; Mr. Hollier of Street Place: Mr. Cooper of Wellow; Mr. Abraham, miller of Blackwater, and family; and several others, amounting altogether to upwards of sixty individuals, nearly the whole of whom were natives and constant residents of the Island.

A portion of the passenger manifest follows:




Mr. James Abraham, Wife and five children

25 boxes, 13 parcels, 6 beds

Mr. John Pittis

10 trunks, 4 boxes, 1 bed, 2 pair saddle bags, and saddles and bridles.…

Sarah and James (I) Abraham embarked from Cowes May 26, reached Philadelphia on July 20, 1821, and proceeded to Newcomerstown, Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Some years later they moved to a farm near Deersville, Harrison County, Ohio, where they bought a farm near her brother Robert, who came to the United States in 1831. They had a water-powered sawmill on the farm. Both Sarah and James (I) Abraham are buried in Deersville.

Sarah and James Abraham had five children; all were born on the Isle of Wight and all were married in Deersville.

The first of the Abraham children was James (II) who married Jane St. John. They had a farm near Newcomerstown, Ohio, before migrating in the 1830s by covered wagon to what became Portland, Oregon. During the journey they lost one of their pair of oxen. In Oregon, James found employment in a mine near their home. Their son and only child, 14 at the time, was deer hunting when he tripped over a log and was killed by the discharge of his gun. James built up a nursery, acquired considerable land, and prospered.

It was near Portland that the fur company of John Jacob Astor founded the settlement of Astoria on the mouth of the Columbia River in 1811. In 1825, the British Hudson’s Bay Company established Fort Vancouver on the Columbia River, and for a time successfully kept out the American fur traders. In 1834, Methodist missionaries established the first permanent American settlement in the Willamette Valley, a valley that extends from Salem north to its entrance into the Columbia River at Portland. It wasn’t until the 1840s that people started traveling the Oregon Trail to settle in the Willamette Valley. From 1825 until 1844, both the United States and Great Britain occupied this region. The presidential campaign of James K. Polk in 1844 ran with the slogan “Fifty-four Forty or Fight.” The treaty in 1846 fixed the 49th parallel as the dividing line between the American and the British claims to the Oregon territory.

Sarah and James (I) Abraham’s second child was a daughter named Jane, born in 1813, who married Dr. Hezekiah Clark. Their son, Andrew Clark, unmarried, also went to Oregon. In 1853, their daughter, Emma Clark, married Andrew Everhart. The Everharts settled in Iowa, where Everhart worked for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul R.R. In 1846 Iowa was admitted as the 29th state and by 1850 the country had truly entered the railway era. The Federal Government was making land grants to the railroads and it was expected that there would be a railroad built roughly along the 32nd parallel from Charleston, South Carolina, to San Diego. When the Civil War broke out, a route along the 42nd parallel westward from Omaha, Nebraska, was planned. It wasn’t until 1867 that a railroad crossed Iowa from the Mississippi River to Council Bluffs across the Missouri from Omaha. By 1870, four railroads crossed the state.

The Andrew Everharts had a daughter, Emma Everhart, who went to Portland to go to school; while there she met her Oregon relatives. When young Emma returned to Iowa in 1890, she married a dentist, Dr. Robinson. They were given the very Victorian wedding gift of a canary in a cage. Emma carried the canary on their honeymoon. Pictures survive of early homesteaders on the western prairies standing in front of their homestead shack with a bird in a birdcage hanging from the roof. For some homesteaders, there would be many times when the bird’s song would be the only sound, besides the wind, for hours a day, days at a time.

The third child of Sarah and James Abraham was William, who married Maria Arnold on Oct.7, 1815, in Deersville, Ohio. Both had been born on the Isle of Wight. They emigrated with their families in 1821 on the same brig, Nepos. William was six, Maria was four. The two families were not acquainted prior to the voyage. The Pittis Genealogy says, “As a young man William worked on river boats and traveled down the Ohio River, through the wilds of Mississippi and Arkansas, and as far north as Wisconsin…. He told [his children and grandchildren] about the steamboats being anchored while wood was cut and stacked on deck as fuel for the boilers, and how armed guards had to protect the woodchoppers from the numerous panthers.” After William and Maria were married, they migrated to Indiana where other Arnolds lived. Earlier, Worstells moved to Indiana as well. It will be remembered that Smith Price Worstell, younger brother of Hiram Worstell, appears on the 1840 census in Switzerland County, southeastern Indiana. The Abrahams first landed near Indianapolis then, because of the presence of malaria, moved on to Morgan County. William became a very successful farmer. People interested in methods of draining land for farming, such as tiling, will be interested in the following excerpt: “William drained the lowlands by ditches into which he put oak rails, covered them with oak shingles, then filled in the dirt.” Many parts of Iowa are also tiled, most with short lengths of terra cotta pipe of varying diameter. Eventually the Abrahams and their children owned over 5,000 acres. This area had many Southern sympathizers. William was a Union man and his home became an armed citadel as tension grew. William and Maria Abraham had six children. At the time of their retirement from farming, they gave each of their children 80 acres of land.

William and Maria Abraham had a daughter, Julia, who married Dr. William Province of Irish descent on Nov. 12, 1868. Dr. Province had received his M.D. from Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1867. Prior to that, he served in the Civil War and saw action in several well-known battles. The Civil War started with a Confederate attack on Fort Sumter, South Carolina, on April 12, 1861. Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant on April 9, 1865. From the Pittis Genealogy is the following material which was taken from The Johnson County [Indiana] History: “William enlisted in Co. K, 6th Regt. Kentucky Union Volunteer Infantry and served in the Civil War for over three years. He was in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga, Murfreesboro, and many other hotly contested engagements and skirmishes. At Chickamauga he received a severe wound in the left arm.” During his life as a doctor, William Province served his patients first by horse, then by horse and buggy, finally by automobile. They sold Julia’s inherited land and eventually owned 240 acres near Providence, Indiana, where he had his practice and became a very successful farmer. They had three children, two sons who were very successful physicians and farmers, and a daughter who married a physician. One son had a son who became a doctor, and two of his three girls married doctors.

Following William in Sarah and James Abraham’s family was Edward, who married and went first to Indiana where William lived and then to Oregon where his brother James lived. The fifth and last of the Abrahams was Emma; no further information about her is given.

Robert and Jane Arnold Pittis

Thomas and Mary Clarke Pittis’ fourth child was Robert (I), the third of their children to emigrate to America. He was born in 1778 and in 1815 he married Jane Arnold, whose sister, Elizabeth, he had first asked to marry. Robert (I) was a yeoman in Blackwater, I.W. Recorded on the flyleaf of his Bible was “Emigrated to the United States in the autumn of 1831.” He and Jane and their four children went to eastern Pennsylvania where they visited her elder sister, Mary Arnold Hearn, who had emigrated ten years earlier.

Robert (I) Pittis and Jane Arnold bought a farm in Nottingham Township south of Deersville in 1831. It was in the possession of his descendants when, like many farms in this region of Ohio, it was flooded because of the Clendenning Reservoir of the Muskingum Conservancy project in the early 1940’s. During the Great Depression, government funds were made available for various projects to help industrial towns and the unemployed. Work was begun on the Ohio’s Muskingum Valley flood-control project in 1934. The work and dams completed by the time of the winter floods of 1937 proved their capability and importance. The project was completed in 1938. The community of Tappan was destroyed and the resulting lake is now a beautiful recreational area. Robert Pittis and his son Robert (II) were merchants and druggists in the store that adjoined their brick residence. This building also housed the post office, which was run by Robert (II). He was called “Postmaster Pittis” to distinguish him from his cousin Robert who was a justice of the peace and known as “Squire Pittis.”

Robert (I) and Jane Arnold Pittis had four children. The youngest was Mary, who, at the age of eight, died shortly after arriving in the United States. The eldest, Robert (II) Pittis, was born on June 11, 1816, in the town of Blackwater, Isle of Wight, as were all of the four children. He married Elizabeth Copis Hillyer in 1839. The Hillyers also emigrated from the Isle of Wight. According to the author of the Pittis book, “He (Robert II) was very strict in business matters, did a strictly cash business, granted credit to no one, there by losing some trade but having no bad book accounts.... He became corpulent and was familiarly called ‘Pussy Bob.’ They had seven children.

In the hope it will make it easier for the reader to keep track of the children in the various families the author has numbered them with Arabic numerals.

Robert (II) and Elizabeth’s eldest son, William (1), enlisted and served as private secretary to a medical director during the Civil War and became Chief of Division, Surgeon-General’s Office, and was employed in the War Department until he retired. Both he and his wife are buried in Arlington National Cemetery; they had one daughter. Robert’s second child, Anne (2) married Peter Mottice Wilson, who also served in the Civil War. They made their residence in Canton and all of their eight children settled in Ohio, several in Canton. The Pittis’ third child (3) died at nine months. Robert (II) and Elizabeth’s son Edward (4) was a pen artist and rapid calculator. He was a blackboard illustrator in the Methodist Church Sunday School. Blackboard illustrating was a popular medium for evangelists when they spoke to young people and others. They used colored chalks and as they spoke they created beautiful religious scenes. Edward was an entrepreneur before being appointed examiner and adjuster of pension claims for the Bureau of Pensions, Washington DC, in 1882, where he served for forty years. Gaylord Worstell grew up near Deersville, Ohio, where the Pittises lived, and would eventually go to work for the Bureau of Pensions in 1894. Edward’s wife, Osee Anne Wilson, “had a gray parrot which she broke from the use of profanity and taught to give college and class yells, train calls and words of endearment to its mistress.” Their son Edward Arlington Pittis was a statistician for the Pa. R.R., Midvale Steel Co., and later chief statistician of Ordnance, War Department in Washington D.C. Of the remaining three (5, 6, 7) one never married, one married and had two children, but no grandchildren; Jane (6) married Marshall Weaver. Jane and Marshall had five children. One became an engineer for the Canadian Pacific Railroad, one drowned at age nine. The family moved to Denver for the health of their daughter who died in her twenties; Denver became the Weaver home.

Jane Pittis, the second child of Robert Senior and Jane Arnold Pittis, was born on the Isle of Wight on 18 May 1819. She was a true Victorian, sharing the same birthday as Queen Victoria and died the same year as the Queen. She was a writer, active member of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and devoutly religious, anti-slavery, protemperance, and charitable. Jane married John Walter Scott, from Yorkshire, England, on Aug. 20, 1839. John’s father was James Scott. In 1816, James and his three children, including John Walter, emigrated to Toronto, Canada, then to New York. In 1819, the four of them walked from New York City to Cadiz, Ohio, the father carrying his little daughter all the way. James was the first watch and clock maker in Harrison County. When he died, John, his son, continued his father’s business. He was memorable as a clock and watch maker, was an inventor, practiced dentistry, and made musical instruments, including the melophean (an instrument that sat on legs like a piano, with bellows like an accordion, operated by the feet like a pump organ). The will of Robert Pittis Senior left “To my daughter Jane Scott all my silver plate together with my china and glass.” John and Jane Scott had six children who survived to adulthood; three others died young.

The eldest child of Jane Pittis and John Scott, Julia (1), married George Washington Woodborne, DDS. His practice was in Uhrichsville where he was city treasurer. He was twice wounded in the Civil War. Their one son, Edwin Scott Woodborne, graduated as an electrical engineer. Although electrical engineering was not considered important until about 1900, it could be considered to have started in 1831 when the Englishman Michael Faraday discovered that an electric current could be generated in a wire merely by moving it across a magnetic field, a phenomenon also discovered the same year by American Joseph Henry. Although an electric locomotive was built and run in England in 1835, it was too expensive for general use until the electric generator was invented. The first locomotives to get power from a generator used a third rail and were in operation by 1880. Electric motors were in use in locomotives and for other operations by 1885. The first steam electric power plant for electric transmission was built by Thomas A. Edison in New York City in 1882 and supplied electricity to 59 buildings. Edwin Woodborne was married in 1903. He became the superintendent of a canning factory in Wisconsin. His uncle, Julia’s brother, Robert Scott, was an inventor of canning machines. Edwin and his wife had two daughters.

Jane and John Scott’s eldest son, Cyrus (2) was a captain in the Kansas Cavalry, a government Indian scout, postmaster, stock dealer, editor, and real estate dealer. The family residence was Arkansas City, Kansas, where they had moved in 1870. Cyrus and his wife had three children; one daughter was a teacher and poet who married a professor of mechanical engineering.

The third son of Jane and John Scott, Robert (3) Scott, was an inventor of devices and machines for canning and had factories in Niagara Falls, New York and Baltimore, Maryland. He became a multimillionaire. In 1885, he and his brother Charles (5) “took an extensive bicycle pleasure trip through Europe.” A walk-along style of bicycle was invented about 1790. It was 70 years before someone put pedals on one. The high wheeler was introduced in the 1870’s. Charles Scott is pictured with one in the Pittis book. A bicycle similar to the ones in use today was invented about 1880. Charles worked in the family business of Scott Bros., Jewelers and was also an inventor and member of the Scott Bicycle Co. Jane’s son L.H. Scott (4) was a lawyer and practiced law in New Jersey before returning to Cadiz to work in the family business as jeweler and inventor. He served in the Ohio House of Representatives for three terms. Thomas (6) married his first cousin Susan Elizabeth Pittis. He became a partner and president of one of Robert’s canning firms in Columbus, Ohio, and owner of Maybrooke Farms in Newark, Ohio. He and his wife spent four months each year at their home with its citrus fruit groves in Altadena, California. He died at age 82 when a train struck the car in which he was riding. He bequeathed a half million dollars to the Methodist Church of Cadiz.

George Pittis, the third child of Robert and Jane Arnold Pittis, was born June 11, 1816. He married his first cousin Sarah Arnold from I.W. George was ten years old when his family emigrated. He was sent to live with his Arnold uncles in New York City where he went to school. In Deersville he went into the merchandise and grocery business. He and Sarah had nine children.

The eldest daughter, Charlotte (1), of George and Sarah Pittis, married William Wilson Branson on Aug. 31, 1876. Mr. Branson enlisted in the Iowa volunteers in 1861 and fought in the battle of Wilson Creek not far from Branson (no relation), Missouri, the now well-known home of country music. Reenactments take place regularly at Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield. After Mr. Branson was honorably discharged, he re-enlisted in the Ohio volunteers and was with Gen. Sherman in his ‘march to the sea.’ It was after Union General Sherman broke rail connections to Atlanta, and sent Gen. Schofield to engage Confederate General Hood’s army at Nashville and destroy it, that Sherman began his march to Savannah, Georgia, on November 15, 1864.

George’s second daughter, Louisa (2), married Samuel Alexander Moore in August 1866. Samuel Moore enlisted in the West [or western] Virginia infantry and served four years and eight months in the Civil War. He fought in five major battles including New Market, where he was taken prisoner. He spent time in the Danville and Libby (Richmond, Virginia) prisons. Although he was never wounded he was near death in a hospital at Cumberland, Maryland from drinking spring-water that supposedly had been poisoned by the rebels. He bought the farm three miles south of Deersville that had been the James and Sarah Pittis Abraham farm. Louisa and Samuel Moore had seven children.

James Johnson Moore (1) went to Indiana in 1886 to the home of William and Maria Arnold Abraham, his mother’s aunt and uncle, to meet and marry Flora Ann Plomer before returning to Cadiz, Ohio, in 1894. He engaged in the sawmill and lumber business there and in Homer, Louisiana, where he engaged in similar work. He and his family lived in Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas, probably following the oil boom, as did some of his children. One son, Herbert, was a test pilot in the U.S. Air Force, WWI. In 1907, four years after the Wright brothers flew the first airplane, an Aeronautical Division with one officer and two enlisted men was set up in the office of the Chief Signal Officer of the Army. In 1908 the first military plane was ordered. By 1912 the Division had 12 airplanes and 12 flying officers, including Lt. Henry H. “Hap” Arnold, later the first five-star general in the Air Force. When WWI broke out, the Air Force had 55 out-of-date planes. World War I started in Europe in June 1914. Before the United States entered the war in 1917, some Americans had volunteered to serve in the French army as pilots. They formed an organization called the Lafayette Escadrille. Although the U.S. declared itself neutral even after the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915, she strengthened her military readiness. When Germany tried to enlist Mexico as an ally, the United States declared war on Germany in April 1917. The war ended with Germany signing the armistice on November 11, 1918.

The families of the remaining children of Louisa and Samuel Moore all remained in Ohio except for Bertha, who married William Barlow. The Barlows moved to Virginia, where all of their grandchildren were born.

John Arnold Pittis (3), third child and eldest son of George and Sarah Arnold Pittis, married Annie Eliza Moore, sister of Samuel Moore just discussed. John served in the Civil War and saw several battles and skirmishes. The John Pittises owned the family farm where they spent their life. This farm was originally owned by his grandparents, Robert and Jane Arnold Pittis, and later destroyed by the conservancy dam. They had five children, all born on the farm, all settled in Ohio.

Susan Elizabeth Pittis (9), born March 31, 1862 was the last of the children of George and Sarah Arnold Pittis. She is the one who married her cousin, Thomas Arnold Scott, also the ninth born in his family, in which three earlier born infants died. Thomas (6), son of Jane and John Scott, is the millionaire who had a citrus grove in Altadena. Of the remaining five children of George and Sarah Pittis, two never married, one had no children; each of the other two did have children.

George Pittis, just discussed, was the third child of the four children born to Robert and Jane Arnold Pittis, the third Pittis family to come to the United States. Their last remaining and fourth child, Mary Elizabeth, was born in 1824 and died in 1832, at age eight, shortly after coming to Deersville.