HUNTER County was probably named for Robert Mercer Taliaferro Hunter (1809-1887),
a Virginia congressman and senator, who favored the admission of Kansas under the
Lecompton Constitution. He was expelled from the Senate in 1861 for supporting the
rebellion, and he served in the Confederate Senate and as Confederate Secretary of State.
Hunter was one of the original 33 counties created by the first territorial legislature
in 1855. In 1860, Irving County was created out of the northern part of Hunter. The
county was never organized, and In 1864 it was annexed into Butler County. The greater
portion of what was Hunter County is now included in Cowley County, with the remainder
scattered among Sedgwick, Sumner, Butler, Elk, Chautauqua, and Greenwood counties.
Boundaries.--"Beginning at the southeast corner of Butler County; thence south to the
southern boundary of the territory; then west 30 miles; thence north to a point west
of the point of beginning; then 30 miles to the place of beginning." The new county
was thus thirty miles east to west and about seventy-eight miles north to south.1
Hunter County became Defunct on February 24, 1864.
Kansas State Historical Society