BIO: Fred J. DYER, Clearfield County, PA
 
Contributed for use in the USGenWeb Archives by Judy Banja & Sally

Copyright 2005.  All rights reserved.
http://www.usgwarchives.net/copyright.htm
http://www.usgwarchives.net/pa/clearfield/

NOTE: Use this web address to access other bios:
http://www.usgwarchives.net/pa/clearfield/1picts/swoope/swoope.htm
_____________________________________________________________

From Twentieth Century History of Clearfield County, Pennsylvania,
and Representative Citizens, by Roland D. Swoope, Jr.,
Chicago: Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company, 1911, pages 681 & 682.
_____________________________________________________________ 

  FRED J. DYER, proprietor of the Fred J. Dyer & Co. store, the largest general 
mercantile establishment in Central Pennsylvania, together with the Fred J. 
Dyer & Co. mill, is one of the most enterprising and successful business men of 
Clearfield county and has been a resident of Curwensville for the past thirty-
eight years.  He is a native of New England, born at Portland, Me., July 2, 
1858, and is a son of W. N. and Caroline (Lovett) Dyer.
  W. N. Dyer was also a native of Portland, where he was reared and educated.  
He came to Pennsylvania and settled in Blair county in 1861.  He was a cooper 
by trade and had plenty of employment as coopering was a very important 
industry at that time and all sugar and molasses hogsheads as well as all 
barrels, were made by hand.  This business he carried on in Hollidaysburg and 
in 1876 he moved from there to Clearfield county and when the railroad was 
extended to Curwensville, he came here.  He was a shrewd and successful 
business man and owned cooper shops at one time in Cambria, Blair, Center and 
Clearfield counties, giving employment to many men.  He was also a man of 
excellent judgment and of sterling character and served Curwensville in the 
office of burgess for two years.  He was married in Maine to Caroline Lovett 
and two children were born to them in that state:  Augusta and Fred J.  Two 
others were subsequently born in Blair county:  Lewis C. and Carrie G.  W. N. 
Dyer died at Curwensville in June, 1904, his wife surviving until July, 1910.  
Their burial was at Portland, Me.  They were members of the Presbyterian 
church.
  Fred J. Dyer was three years old when he was brought to Clearfield county.  
His parents realizing, however, that their children could have much better 
educational advantages in New England than in Clearfield county at that time, 
sent Mr. Dyer and his older sister to the home of their grandparents at 
Portland, and there both remained until they had secured a good education.  
When Fred J. Dyer returned to Clearfield county he became a clerk in a store 
his father was operating in connection with his coopering business, at Lumber 
City.  In 1872 he came to Curwensville where, with John B. Alley & Co., he 
learned the tanning business.  In 1882 he embarked in the general mercantile 
business on the corner of Filbert and Meadow streets, this location at the time 
being considered a more of less undesirable one for his undertaking, by his 
business friends.  However, the result has shown that Mr. Dyer had better 
foresight than his would be advisers for now his business house stands in the 
very center of the town.  Later he became general manager and superintendent of 
the above tanning firm but in 1892 retired as an active official, his 
individual business interests having so developed that his time is fully taken 
up with them.  In addition to his large store at Curwensville, Mr. Dyer 
conducted branch stores at Curry Run and at Grampian until 1894.  In 1900, in 
partnership with his brother, Lewis Dyer, and E. Elms, he organized the 
Hambleton Leather Company, with tannery in West Virginia, but the buildings 
were burned in March, 1910.  Mr. Dyer was also the builder of his up-to-date 
mill, which draws custom from a distance of fifteen miles, and in both store 
and mill customers are assured of courteous treatment, honest service and 
immediate attention.  Mr. Dyer was the main organizer of the Electric Light 
Company, at Curwensville, was a charter director and formerly vice-president of 
the Curwensville National Bank, and has been concerned in the founding and 
fostering of a large number of the town's leading industries, setting an 
example of public spirit and enterprise that is commendable in any citizen.  In 
1890 he erected his private residence, on the corner of Locust and State 
streets, which is one of the most attractive in the borough.
  In March, 1878, Mr. Dyer was married to Miss Henrietta Thompson, a daughter 
of James and Katherine Thompson, and they have five children:  John, Willis, 
Ellen, Katherine and Marion.  All reside at Curwensville, with the exception of 
Willis, who is married and lives in the State of Washington.  The family attend 
the Methodist Episcopal church.  In politics, Mr. Dyer is an independent 
Republican.  For twelve years he served as a member of the school board, of 
which he was president for some time, and for twelve years was a member of the 
borough council.  Fraternally he is identified with the Masons.  Undoubtedly 
Mr. Dyer is a man possessing high qualities of business ability and he 
impresses a visitor very favorably in the expression of his practical views.