Payette County ID Archives News.....Early Days of Payette 1925
************************************************
Copyright.  All rights reserved.
http://www.usgwarchives.net/copyright.htm
http://www.usgwarchives.net/id/idfiles.htm
************************************************

File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Patty Theurer seymour784@yahoo.com December 8, 2005, 2:52 am

Payette Enterprise 1925 1925
Payette Enterprise
Payette, Idaho
September 17, 1925

EARLY DAYS OF PAYETTE

HISTORY OF PAYETTE AND THE PAYETTE VALLEY BY MRS. CELIA A. MOSS, AS ONE OF THE 
INTERESTING NUMBERS AT THE OLD SETTLERS’ PICNIC, HELD AT EMMETT

Since the time, in 1836, when Marcus Whitman demonstrated that it was possible 
to travel from the Missouri river to Puget sound on wheels, the Payette valley 
has lain in the direct route of travel to the northwest. But it was not until 
the building of the railroad in 1884 it was looked upon as a place for 
permanent settlement.  The year previous, the engineers of the Union Pacific, 
surveying the line through, located bridges over the Snake and Payette rivers, 
and at that time, Moss Brothers under contract to deliver a quarter million 
ties, camped near the junction of the Payette and Snake rivers on the site of 
the Present town of Payette.  That marked its birth.

In July of that year the Moss Brothers erected the first store building, and A. 
B. Moss was the first postmaster and express agent.  A few venturesome settlers 
began coming in and he year 1884 saw the completion of the railroad as far as 
Huntington, Oregon.  That year also witnessed the building of the first school 
house in the infant town on the site of the present Baptist church, and the 
construction of the Lower Payette ditch by farmers along its route (without 
bonding aid), and irrigation canal with extensions 20 miles in length, carrying 
a volume of 7,000 miners inches of water.

W. A Coughanour established his sawmill in the year 1887 and in this year and 
those immediately following there located in Payette the greater number of 
those men who formed the “Old Guard.”  This ancient and honorable phalanx had 
on its rolls such names as Peter Pence, Henry Ervin, William Ireton, S. W. 
King, J. T. Clement, Alexander Rossi, John Ashbaugh, James Welch, W. C. 
Johnson, Samuel and John Applegate, John, Ben and William Bivens, William Case, 
August and Adolph Jacobsen, John Henshaw, Jacob Stroup, D. S. Lamme, A. B. and 
F. C Moss; later came W. A. Coughanour, John McGlinchey, Whitney Brothers, and 
others we all remember. 

The growth of the town was not particularly rapid from that time to 1890, but 
the population steadily increased and from a supply station for railway 
construction gangs it had become a center of trade and base of supplies for a 
country an hundred miles in extent.  

The “brick age” was inaugurated in 1890.  It received its main impetus from a 
German syndicate which had sent its representatives, Judge J. H. Richards, an 
attorney, Mr. Delis, a capitalist, and I. W. Hart, their secretary, who 
investigated the resources of the valley with a view to making extensive 
investments in real estate and placing money in various enterprises.  The 
syndicate invested about $200,000.  Its faith in the future was pinned to the 
valley’s horticulture, timber and live stock resources.  A two-story central 
school building had already been erected and there followed what might be 
termed a real building boom-a two-story hotel (the Commercial), a three-story 
bank building, two-story Odd Fellows’ building, the large establishments of the 
Moss Mercantile, Payette Valley and Lamme Mercantile companies and several fine 
residences, all of brick burned at the Hill Brick Yard just east of town.  In 
addition to these, a number of large frame buildings were erected. 

Payette was incorporated as a village in 1891, the first municipal officers 
being W. A. Coughanour, John Lauer, A. B. Moss, S. W. Ruse, D. S. Lamme and 
John F. Reed.  Thus, we has begun to put on metropolitan airs, and in the fall 
of that year when the first carload of fruit was shipped, things really began 
to assume a rosy hue for the pioneers as well as the later comers.  Payette now 
had a population of over 3,000, with solid blocks of brick buildings, paved 
streets and miles of cement sidewalks.  

Captain and Mrs. Henry Ervin moved down from their old Island Home ranch to the 
49 Ranch near Payette in April, 1888.  Mrs. Ervin still conducts the farm.  

Mr. A. Rossi moved his sawmill from Boise to Washoe about 1890.

Burt Venable started our first real newspaper in the spring of 1891.

The Payette Creamery was started in the ‘90’s and with judicious reorganization 
and management has developed into a wonderful community institution.  

Mr. Prestel, who built a large sawmill about the year 1892, I think, gave 
Payette its first electric lighting system in1902, extending throughout the 
town.  

The Payette Cannery was stared about 1902.

The McGlinchey orchard was planted in the early ‘90’s, also Jacobsen’s orchard 
east of town.  Messrs. Jacobsen and Coughanour have each erected several brick 
building, the last named having given the town the Elk fountain east of the O. 
S. L. depot, which refuses to throw out its invigorating spray since out town 
went on the dry list.  The fine Emma theatre he built has passed into the other 
hands but is still a pleasant place to spend an hour.  

Several saloons infested our town at one time, before churches were much in 
evidence, the Methodist being the first one at that time, its bell called the 
people to worship.  Wackerhagen’s saloon caught fire one night, which was 
before the time of the fire engine; someone yelled, “Ring the church bell,” and 
a man answered “Where in the heck is the church bell?”

In the year 1883, when the Moss Brothers, A. B. and F. C., arrived in Payette, 
they were working under contract to supply timbers in the form of railroad ties 
for a company with headquarters in Omaha.  Gifted with an eye for the future 
possibilities of the place, the Moss Brothers decided to locate permanently in 
Payette.  They filled their contact for ties in Long Valley, where they 
employed a crew of men for that work.  They took in the first wagon load of 
supplies in 1882, several others were hauled in later and packed in on mules 
by “Con, the Packer,” who brought in mail also.  The timbers were delivered on 
time, the fall of 1883, at a point designated by the railroad company.  By the 
time the first train reached Payette, a year later, the little village had 
begun to grow in a small way. 

W. F. Masters filed on the present townsite of 200 acres-afterward sold by him 
to the Payette Land & Improvement Company for $20,000.  

It has been my privilege to witness the beginning of the resurrection morn, as 
it were, to the desert waste lying southerly from the Payette river in the 
vicinity of New Plymouth and Fruitland section.  The transformation of this 
sage brush waste into fruitful fields began in the spring of 1891, when a few 
men recognized the possibilities resting in an intelligent union of such desert 
and the waters running to waste in the Payette river, began the construction of 
what is now known as the Farmers’ Co-Operative ditch, which runs through your 
own attractive city.  Judge J. H. Richards, now of Boise, was the man who made 
it possible to finance the building of the ditch.  He went cast and raised the 
money to finance the proposition.  In connection with this and other important 
undertakings, these men of the Payette Land & Improvement Co, having acquired 
the 200-acre townsite of Payette, laid out and graded its streets and around 
the public school grounds, organized the Payette Valley bank and erected a 
three-story building for its use, which is still used for banking purposes.  As 
a result of this activity, a new hope animated our hearts.  All felt the 
impetus for good of this remarkable development from the desert to productive 
acres, dotted with happy homes, school houses and churches, as the evidence of 
the faith of these thoughtful men.   

Whitney Brothers, who brought nursery stock from Walla Walla, Wash., had 
meantime erected large building and established an important nursery business.  
The nursery donated hundreds of trees and a committee composed of Peter Pence, 
Fred Burgen, Dr. W. R. Hamilton, J. H. Richards and A. B. Moss saw to it that 
all were properly planted along our streets.  

Peter Pence put his own teams and men on the school grounds, to clear, level 
and grade them for the trees, which the Whitney Nursery had also generously 
donated, and as a result the efforts of Prof. M. F. Albert and his boy pupils 
(many of whom are now the steady going business men of the town) saw to 
planting and caring for them, as a result of which the Central School park is 
now known throughout the county as one of its most delightful spots.  

In 1902 the Payette Valley railroad was promoted, surveyed along right-of-way 
secured by A. B. Moss, and Hiram E. Dunn, Mr. Dunn coming here from Salt Lake 
for the purpose of putting the road through the valley.  It was finished first 
to New Plymouth where they had a real celebration at the time of driving the 
last spike.  Later it was extended to Emmett, and in 1914 it was turned over to 
the O. S. L. by its stockholders, Mr. Nibley, Mr. Murphy, Dunn Bros. and the A. 
B. Moss estate.  It is now owned by the O. S. L.  

Thus, is human history begun and made, and the character of a community 
outlined and animated. It is no trifling thing to have had even a small part in 
converting a desert into fruitful fields and impelling it on its useful career 
for unnumbered years.  I still feel helped in contemplating the struggle of 
those years which have brought so much of good to the present generation and 
which must continue to bless in a multiplied degree the generations yet to 
follow.  

CELIA A. MOSS.




This file has been created by a form at http://www.genrecords.org/idfiles/

File size: 10.1 Kb